Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

using sunbeds before a holiday

i am going on holiday at the beginning of may.

i'm only going for a week but would really like to catch a bit of a tan.

before i go, i basically just wanna prepare my skin by using the sunbeds. just to get me started basically ;)

how long should i use them for? by that i mean, how many times should i go before going away? should i just go for a week/fortnight before i go? how often would i go and how many minutes would i go on for? i've never really used a sunbed (i used them once or twice when i was 16 but that was it!) so i'm clueless.

ta :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't do it, the sun is harmful enough...just get a spray tan before you go and use sunblock while you're there.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/melanoma/about/melanoma-risks-and-causes#sunbeds
  • Options
    mehhhh, my fella keeps going off on one about me wanting to use them.

if i get a spray tan though, will i still tan properly?

spray tans make most people look orange. i wouldn't want that!
  • Options
    Quite rightly, tbh, they're so dangerous.

Spray tans can look natural if you don't go crazy. OR if you're going in May, try Holiday Skin - it builds the colour up gradually and it looks natural.
  • Options
    mmmm the thing is with those build up things, they end up looking really patchy on me. i exfoliate loads before using them but it just comes off in bits everywhere and looks horrible. wouldn't the same thing happen with a spray tan?
  • Options
    Possibly, but at least you won't get cancer.

My stepdad's mum just had a lump the size of an orange taken out of her leg from skin cancer. That's even less attractive than slightly-patchy tan.
  • Options
    Why would you even want to be a different skin colour, i live in tanning heaven and i'm surrounded by girls with sunkissed golden tans (most of which are spray on) but i am soooo happy to be the pale white ghost (in comparison to them)...at least i'm an individual and proud of what God gave me!

Contrastingly my sister who is 26, tans to a perfect golden brown but her skin looks like leather....no thank you very much!
  • Options
    Also research tanning places, find somewhere famous or that is part of a chain and you've seen how their tans look and then go there AND FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS TO A T!!!! Because that's probably where you are having problems
  • Options
    It's funny how this site is all about telling people how to manage risk and avoid danger when taking drugs, having sex etc...but mention that you want a tan, and the line suddenly becomes one of abstinence rahter than risk aversion!

I think it's a good idea to have a little bit of a tan before you go away, as it makes your skin more inclined to tan and less inclined to burn when you're in the sun.

You should start going to the tanning place a few weeks before your holiday, and start off with sessions of about 3 or 4 minutes to begin with, about 3 times a week, gradually going on for longer as you build up your tan.

However, the staff in the tanning salon should be able to advise properly about duration, frequency etc, so I would go and talk to them.
  • Options
    The reason i'm so against it is because it is an unnecessary risk to take. One can still tan without lying on a glass bed and taking in unfiltered UV rays! Seriously, what's the point? With drugs people get some pleasure out of it, but what pleasure do you get out of tanning that you cant get with a spray tan WITHOUT THE RISKS?
  • Options
    i see your concern but it is blah's decision and seems like it will be a one off for a holiday. blah i'd ask at the salon and just make sure you go to a reputable one.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    The reason i'm so against it is because it is an unnecessary risk to take. One can still tan without lying on a glass bed and taking in unfiltered UV rays! Seriously, what's the point? With drugs people get some pleasure out of it, but what pleasure do you get out of tanning that you cant get with a spray tan WITHOUT THE RISKS?

Not pleasure, but a better looking tan. Not at all streaky, doesn't look dirty when it's fading or dirty in creases of skin around your ankles etc. Plus it accustoms your skin to tanning so that you don't instantly burn when you lie in the sun.

Obviously you're right about the risks, but drinking a beer, eating fatty food, crossing the road all have risks. Obviously it's not a good idea to become a sunbed addict, but that's because all risky activity should be done in moderation.
  • Options
    Burning is more harmful than tanning, so using sunbeds sensibly can be a good precaution.
  • Options
    They do say tan is actually skin damage.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Burning is more harmful than tanning, so using sunbeds sensibly can be a good precaution.
    Any UV exposure is damaging to the skin and increases the risk of cancer. It's not definite that sunburn is more harmful than UV exposure without sunburn, and people shouldn't assume they're safe if they don't burn (even with suncream).
  • Options
    Uv rays can damage DNA regardless of if it caused you to tan or burn, I'd give fake baking another shot first. But then again I've embraced pale and interesting look, so maybe I'm not the right person to be asking
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Quite rightly, tbh, they're so dangerous.

Spray tans can look natural if you don't go crazy. OR if you're going in May, try Holiday Skin - it builds the colour up gradually and it looks natural.

How does a spray tan work, do you just stand in a cubicle and its automatic or is someone actually spraying you while you stand there in your knickers?
    I desperatly want to get some colour as i am realy really pale but im far to self concious to stand almost naked while getting a spray.
    I have looked at the tanning mosturiers but i doubt i have the patience as i get bored if i dont see results quickly.
  • Options
    Hmm not much of a point going on holiday to want a tan when you return, if you are just going to get one before you go.
  • Options
    Louise... I'd love to have pale skin. I used to be pale... but ever spring/summer I go really tanned, even if I'm not outside.
    Xx
  • Options
    Louise... I'd love to have pale skin. I used to be pale... but ever spring/summer I go really tanned, even if I'm not outside.
    Xx

I tend to burn if i even look at the sun so i'm not one for laying out in it at all, but i think i look ill, i would really like a healthy looking tan especally now summers coming and everyone will be in short skirts and strappy tops. Dont you think a tan helps you look healthy and attractive.
  • Options
    Nope, I'm more for the "dead and on drugs" look :p or... "emo" as some will call it ;)
    Xx
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Hmm not much of a point going on holiday to want a tan when you return, if you are just going to get one before you go.
    what?

i'm going on holiday to have a good time with my friends, not to get a tan.

it would just be nice to come back with a tan as i'm wearing a strapless dress to a wedding the weekend after i get back and i don't want to look as pale as i normally do.
  • Options
    Nope, I'm more for the "dead and on drugs" look :p or... "emo" as some will call it ;)
    Xx

Yes thats my natural look but i want to be dark and mysterious :flirt: i really want a golden tan like the girls you see on the telly on some beach in Florida, but we are having a long weekend in Bournemouth at Easter :lol: So i doubt thats gonna happen just yet.
  • Options
    i done it.

go on every other day for 6 mins for a week and you'll be sorted.

if ur very pale do 3 mins for the first 2 times but go on for ten days in total not 7 :D

i done it because i burn so so bad but i once i had a tan from sunbed i was ok