Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bald spot!!!! :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya

my sister pointed out to me yesterday i had a bald spot on the back of my head! im only 23, female, and im really worried about this, im scared it would be alopica (sp?) as my friend has this and all his hair has fallen out and he has no eyebrows or lashes.

i've had a look at the spot in the mirrior and its on my crown and quite noticable when my hair is not covering it, what should i do??? :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    If it is really bothering you i would suggest going to the doctors just to make sure that it isnt anything serious, but for now i think you should cover it up with your hair:hyper: x
  • Options
    thanks 4 your reply megan, i have thought about going to the doctors but i've just started a new job where i work mon-fri and i dont want to take any time off while i'm still on probation period... i cant cover the spot with my hair as its right on the crown of my head and i can't even tell if its showing or not :( i dont want everyone at work to see it, i try and put my hair over it but it just falls back and exposes it as i have really thin hair :(
  • Options
    hiya hun

i really wouldn't worry.

i have suffered with occasional alopecia since i was a little girl. every now and again, i will discover a 5p-1p sized bald patch. it happens very quickly. the hair has ALWAYS grown back and i've never lost my eyelashes or eyebrows. its always been on my head.

i know its really hard but the main thing to do is not stress out about it. if you stress out about it, its likely you'll make it worse. thats what i've always found anyway. its best forgetting about it and before you know it, it will have disappeared as the hair will have grown back.

i once had one on my crown. if you tie your hair back or adjust your parting slightly, you won't be able to see it.

if its really bothering you, take a trip to your doctors. i know you said you work mon-fri but so do most people. people have to go to the doctors and i'm sure your employer would understand.

i hope it grows back soon :heart:
  • Options
    Hiya

Thank you 4 replying, the spot is still here and people have started noticing it, i feel so ashamed and embarased, i wonder if people at my new job have noticed 2 as i work in a call centre and am sat down all day with people walking behind me, the perfect view to see it...

Its really upsetting me, i keep crying about it as i've been doin some research online and it says that with alopica once the bald spot has gone, another one will appear in its place... im really worried about it as it also said it would of need to have been triggerd by something such as thursh which i've had a big problem with the last few months, i feel like my body is falling apart and i don't know what to do.

my next week day off is not for over a week yet, i'll ask at work 2moro and maybe try and book a day off as holiday or something. :(
  • Options
    Hey there lover :wave:

So sorry to hear this is upsetting you. Hair loss can be caused by numerous things or no apparent cause at all. Have you been under stress recently?

I'd echo what's already been said that you really should try to see your doctor as soon as you can. Things like changing your diet can make a big difference. Do you use intensive treatments or style your hair alot?

Also remember often we are too critical of ourselves and although you are aware of it most people probably wouldn't notice.

Please let us know how you're getting along :heart:
  • Options
    dollypop wrote: »
    Hey there lover :wave:

So sorry to hear this is upsetting you. Hair loss can be caused by numerous things or no apparent cause at all. Have you been under stress recently?

I'd echo what's already been said that you really should try to see your doctor as soon as you can. Things like changing your diet can make a big difference. Do you use intensive treatments or style your hair alot?

Also remember often we are too critical of ourselves and although you are aware of it most people probably wouldn't notice.

Please let us know how you're getting along :heart:

Hiya, yes i've been under a bit of stress as i'm not happy where i'm living but i've sorted that by finding a new place. I haven't changed my diet at all, and the only thing i use on my hair is shampoo and conditioner, i dont even straignten it :( I'm going to call the doctors today and see if i can get an appointment for after work.x
  • Options
    oh hun :(:heart:

can you not tie your hair up in a high pony and pull the hair back from the front of your head? thats what i did when i had a bald spot on my crown and it pretty much covered it up.

try not to stress yourself out about it. i know its hard (believe me, i really REALLY do) but the best thing you can do is to try and forget about it. it WILL grow back. probably very soon infact but you've got to stop stressing about it. i'd advise not looking on the internet about it tbh. it will just stress you out.

at worst, you MIGHT get one elsewhere but if so, its unlikely to be in the same place so it will probably be easier to cover up. its unlikely you'll get another straight away too. i probably have one once or twice a year at most. its not too often. you might just have this one and never have one again.

go to your doctor and see what they say. i'd be interested to see what they say tbh as i've never been about it! xxx
  • Options
    oh hun :(:heart:

can you not tie your hair up in a high pony and pull the hair back from the front of your head? thats what i did when i had a bald spot on my crown and it pretty much covered it up.

try not to stress yourself out about it. i know its hard (believe me, i really REALLY do) but the best thing you can do is to try and forget about it. it WILL grow back. probably very soon infact but you've got to stop stressing about it. i'd advise not looking on the internet about it tbh. it will just stress you out.

at worst, you MIGHT get one elsewhere but if so, its unlikely to be in the same place so it will probably be easier to cover up. its unlikely you'll get another straight away too. i probably have one once or twice a year at most. its not too often. you might just have this one and never have one again.

go to your doctor and see what they say. i'd be interested to see what they say tbh as i've never been about it! xxx

I'm going to ring the doctors 2moro and book an appointment, i'm going to be really embarassed when i go though but i guess that shouldnt matter.

I'm worried about when it grows back, won't it all stick up cus its will be so short?? i've got really thin hair so a tuft sticking out of my crown will be really noticable :( I wore my hair up at work today, i hate waering my hair up but i guess i'd hate to people to see the bald patch even more. My hair is in desperate need of a cut but i can't go 2 the hairdressers untill the patch is gone. x
  • Options
    you can still go to your hairdresser hun!

whenever i have one, i just explain. they see it all the time and understand. its actually quite common. my first bald spot appeared when i was very very young and it was actually my hairdresser who pointed it out (it was hidden under lots of hair!).

it might well stick up when its growing back. use some hair gel to stick it down OR keep your hair tied back until its grown a bit.

don't be embarassed about going to the doctor. they aren't going to judge you and they are there to help. let us know how you get on :) xxx
  • Options
    you can still go to your hairdresser hun!

whenever i have one, i just explain. they see it all the time and understand. its actually quite common. my first bald spot appeared when i was very very young and it was actually my hairdresser who pointed it out (it was hidden under lots of hair!).

it might well stick up when its growing back. use some hair gel to stick it down OR keep your hair tied back until its grown a bit.

don't be embarassed about going to the doctor. they aren't going to judge you and they are there to help. let us know how you get on :) xxx

GRrrr tried to make an appointment 2day, they have nothing all this week and they dont even have anything on my day off next week!! they are getting a doctor to call me back this evening but i dont see what good thats going to do :( i'll let u know what they say x
  • Options
    Hi Lover,

Did you hear from your GP? Hopefully they can arrange a date for you to go in and see them at a convenient time for you. It can be really disappointing to not get an appointment after finding the courage to call them. You've done the right thing by getting advice and then contacting the GP.

Take care and keep posting :)
  • Options
    Harry23 wrote: »
    Hi Lover,

Did you hear from your GP? Hopefully they can arrange a date for you to go in and see them at a convenient time for you. It can be really disappointing to not get an appointment after finding the courage to call them. You've done the right thing by getting advice and then contacting the GP.

Take care and keep posting :)

Hiya, i spoke with the doctor, she was really nice on the phone, it took a lot to not burst into tears there and then, she said it could be a number of things and that it could even take up to a year to grow back :nervous:

i need to have a blood test to find out if im animic or have thyroid problems, but wouldnt i know if i had this? x
  • Options
    ahhh really? so she doesn't think its alopecia then?

people don't always know when there is something wrong with them :) well done for speaking to the doctor about it.
  • Options
    ahhh really? so she doesn't think its alopecia then?

people don't always know when there is something wrong with them :) well done for speaking to the doctor about it.

I've been tryin my hardest 2 get an appointment at the doctors but they are fully booked for weeks on end its so frustrating, iv got a day off on tueday so im going up to the hospital for a blood test and then i've gotta try and make an appointment at the doctors but they are constantly busy and i've got to work long hours plus im in the process of moving house and the bank holidays really dont help im gettin really stressed out about it all i just want to go and see a docor but i cant :( i tried to book some time off work to go but they didnt have any avaliable holiday and said id have to do it as "emergency leave" and iv only been there a few weeks and am on probation period so im scared to take any time off :confused: