Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Period pains!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
AAHHH!!!!!!!! Right... I get mega bad period pains, to the point where I can't move. I couldn't sleep last night, it was so painful! I had to take 4 paracetomal, and really I don't think I should be taking any after everything a couple of weeks back. And, sometimes I can hardly walk. It just feels like my legs will collapse.

The pain is across my stomach and down my sides, and down the inside of my tighs. Is there anything I can do apart from take tablets? A hot water bottle doesn't help much either...
Thanks !! :blush:
Xx

Comments

• Options
    A really nice hot relaxing bath helps me, then bed with a hot water bottle and cup of tea.

I know what you're going through, occasionally i get crippling pains to the point where i'm doubled over.

Mine are usually only for one day each period which I can cope with but if its happening to you for more than that and then go see the doctor and see if they can do anything for you
  • Options
    ibuprofen?
  • Options
    Firstly a big hug! I used to have really really bad pains every time for about two days, for about three years, I never did anything about it (apart from paracetamol) but eventually I think I sort of grew out of it. Now I get them maybe every three or four months on average and the rest are ok, bit uncomfortable but not painful. I don't recommend you do the same as I did (i.e. ignore it!) because it was horrible so if you can go speak to the doc about maybe going on the pill? This should help.
    I never did find something to help mine, but you could try a warm bath, a hot water bottle or gentle exercise. Heat can help.
  • Options
    EXERCISE?!!! You sound like a P.E. teacher ;)

A teacher told me once that you could get sticky heat pad things that you can wear under your clothes? Are they any good?
    And... I don't think my mum would let me go on the pill.
    Xx
  • Options
    :no: I've asked her before, but she said I "can't be trusted" on the pill.
    Xx
  • Options
    But it's you who would decide to go on the pill it's not your mums decision....
  • Options
    I'd still go to the docs. I never had a problem with my periods, but a lot of my friends did, and there are things they can give you to help - doesn't have to be the pill, although that's probably the most common!
  • Options
    Okay... I might talk to her about it later... *Gets out courage and swollows it*
    I went to the shop earlier, and got tampons, she saw them and has had a right go at me. Not supposed to use them till I'm 15.
    Xx
  • Options
    Not supposed to use them till I'm 15.
    Xx

What?... But.. I'm sorry thats just very narrow minded, its not a sexual matter, its a matter of health and hygiene!

I'm not too sure about this but if you were put on the pill would the doctor have to tell your mum? I guess they'd have to get her permission or something wouldnt they as you're quite young
  • Options
    Lexi they don't have to tell her mum about it as long as the Dr deems a person 16 and under to be Gillick Competent (able to consent to their own medical treatment) then they do not have to infrom their parents.
  • Options
    I don't know... but I can't go to the doctors alone anyway it's ages away soo :-/ But I might ask her... maybe
    Xx
  • Options
    There are other medications the Dr can offer, besides the pill, to help with period pains :yes:

Maybe if you have a youth advice centre or sexual health clinic close by they can help?
  • Options

A teacher told me once that you could get sticky heat pad things that you can wear under your clothes? Are they any good?
    And... I don't think my mum would let me go on the pill.
    Xx

THere are tons of brands, I see thermacare is in the UK, they even have ones specifically for menstrual cramps... though I'm sure they are all quite similar and you can stick whatever one anywhere :p

I've never tried for cramps, but I love http://www.amysgifts.co.uk/gifts-info.php?products_id=1449 for sore muscles.
  • Options
    Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but Feminax is a brilliant aid to period pain. Sounds like you are in severe pain so it may not take it all away, but I would presume it would ease it a lot. Hope you're ok.
  • Options

I can assure you that is the last thing I would ever be!

Nah, was just something one of my friends once said was meant to help. I never took it up though, running when you are in pain is not appealing!
  • Options
    Hey Broken - Angel so sorry to hear your in so much pain it sounds truely gruesome :crying:

I have heard that lying on your back with your feet up resting on a wall can help, probably best at home not in the park :lol:

Hope you soon feel better
  • Options
    AAHHHH I couldn't sleep. That sucked. I've slept about 4 hours.

I'm going to have to speak to my mum, this is really starting to annoy me. It used to only be in the day, and I could deal with that, but it's at night too now. I might ask one of the PSVE teachers before hand, to see if theres anything else I can do! :blush:
    Xx
  • Options
    I get very similar pains and actually, if you can bear it, running it out is one of the best things I've found to do. I also use heat packs under my clothes and take pain killers two days before it's due (can't remember what they're called right now).

recently I started the pill to control my PMT (I was getting suicidal every month, not fun) and it's actually helped with the pain as well.
  • Options
    Mefenamic acid. It is your friend. Saying that, I used to get terrible terrible pains (they're not *as* bad now, but they're still pretty debilitating if I don't have painkillers) and I used to take ibuprofen, mefenamic acid, paracetamol, feminax and wear a heat patch all at the same time and it didn't do much, but it definitely took the edge off and let me get out and do stuff instead of moaning all day. These days they do uberstrong feminax which is amazing so try that first of all. You can get heat patches basically anywhere that sells painkillers and Deep Heat and stuff - and yes, they help a fair bit. I used to put them on my stomach but I found that they actually help more if you put them on your back because that's closer to the actual source of the pain.

Also tell your mum to stfu - go on the pill if you want to. It's none of her business. It definitely helped with my pains and even the heaviness (because - tmi moment - I would be wearing the super fat tampons and they would last me maybe two hours). Plus if my mum ever told me I had to wear pads I would tell her where to go. Not to mention the fact that my dog used to eat the used ones out of the bin :D.
  • Options
    eeww at the dog!! My cat pulled one apart, but it wasn't used.
    Happy to say, she's let me keep the tampons (but only because I paid for them, she said she wont ever buy me any) But you can't win them all.

I think I might wait a few months to see if they keep being this bad, my periods aren't exactly regular anyway. I normally have two one month, and then none the next month, and so on. Sometimes it's totally random though. If they do keep being this bad, I think I'll go to the clinic. I really can't cope with this!
    Xx
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that my dog used to eat the used ones out of the bin :D.

Note to myself i must stop eating whilst reading these forums :yuck: