Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

More crap from the Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1257110/America-nears-tipping-point-babies-born-minority-parents-outnumber-whites-time.html

America is reaching a ‘tipping point’ when the babies born to minority parents outnumber whites for the first time.
More white women than ever before are postponing having children until they are older, while minority mothers are still having babies at younger ages, according to a US study published yesterday.
Experts claim the immigration boom has accelerated the historic trend that is likely to leave whites in the minority in America by the middle of the century.
Multicultural: Families watch babies in a hospital nursery in Houston, Texas. There will soon be more babies born to minority parents than to white families
Minorities made up 48 per cent of US children born in 2008, according to the latest census estimates, compared to 37 per cent in 19990.
But the new study suggests the number of minority babies born this year is almost certainly going to number more than half of all new births.
‘For America’s children, the future is now,’ said Kenneth Johnson, a sociology professor at the University of New Hampshire who researched many of the racial trends in the report.
‘Census projections suggest America may become a minority-majority country by the middle of the century,’ he added.
He explained that there are now more Hispanic women of prime childbearing age in the US, who tend to have more children than women of other races.
U.S. BIRTH STATISTICS 2008Percentage of babies born in American broken down by race

52% WHITE

25% HISPANIC

15% BLACK

4% ASIAN

4% MULTIRACIAL

More white women are waiting until they are older to have babies, although it is not yet clear how much effect that will have on the current trend of increasing minority newborns.
The number of white women of prime childbearing age is on the decline, dropping 19 per cent from 1990.
Broken down by race, about 52 per cent of babies born in 2008 were white.
That's compared to about 25 per cent Hispanic, 15 per cent black and 4 per cent Asian. Another 4 per cent were identified by their parents as multiracial.

The numbers highlight the nation's growing racial and age divide, seen in pockets of communities across the US, which could heighten tensions in current policy debates from immigration reform and education to health care and Social Security.
There are also strong implications for the 2010 population count, which begins in earnest next week, when more than 120 million US households receive their census forms in the post.
The Census Bureau is running public service announcements this week to improve its tally of young children, particularly minorities, who are most often missed in the once-a-decade head count.
Whites currently make up two-thirds of the total US population, and recent census estimates suggest the total number of minorities may not overtake the number of whites until 2050.
Right now, roughly one in ten of the nation's 3,142 counties already have minority populations greater than 50 per cent.

But one in four communities have more minority children than white children or are nearing that point, according to the study, which Mr Johnson co-published.
That is because Hispanic women on average have three children, while other women on average have two. The numbers are 2.99 children for Hispanics, 1.87 for whites, 2.13 for blacks and 2.04 for Asians in the US.

The 2008 census estimates used local records of births and deaths, tax records of people moving within the US, and census statistics on immigrants.

Really can't believe the shit that passes for a news article in this rag.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is something quite apocalyptic about the article isn't it... "Tipping point"...

Christ...
  • Options
    Wow... experts say? Reminds me of the Onions "Some bullshit that is happening right now" news segments.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/breaking_news_some_bullshit
  • Options
    Another day, another pile of shite from the Heil.

This time is not so much the story as the headline chosen for it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1258123/Jake-hero-Judge-praises-ROTTWEILER-stopped-illegal-immigrant-raping-woman-park.html#ixzz0iJkGJUNI

Next time a woman is molested by an Englishman (which happens a lot more regularly) I'm sure the Mail will also feel the need to mention this in the headline... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Agreed, the guy is admittedly a dirty bastard. But what are they trying to imply, that he is a dirty bastard because he is an immigrant, or he's an immigrant so therefore he must be one?

When was the last time we saw "white man steals from government" or "english native rapes and murders a young woman"?
  • Options
    Daily Mail wrote:
    Minorities made up 48 per cent of US children born in 2008, according to the latest census estimates, compared to 37 per cent in 19990.

First, Daily Mail have invented the so-called miracle pill that can cure all of the world's cancers. Now they have invented the time machine. On next week's front page, "This pill can make you teleport!"
  • Options
    Fucking daily mail and their shit. Makes me so pissed off.
    Xx
  • Options
    It's an interesting story in itself, but I can't see the reason to make too much fuss out of it. The USA has always been a melting pot and it's well-known that some ethnic minorities tend to have traditions of having larger families. Either way, white people are a long way from extinct yet.

Let there be more diversity of people in the world, I say.
  • Options
    pastrypal wrote: »
    why are they sticking their right wing arm into USA now.
    The reason that you see a lot of US-related news appearing on UK news websites now is more to do with the changing market. Newspaper websites make most of their money through advertising. They have a global audience, which means they have to run US-related stories like this in order to make sure the US audience keeps coming back. And they're a very lucrative audience to have, which is why UK news organisations cater more and more for them.

In any case, I shouldn't think that a nation as right-wing as the USA would worry about a newspaper "sticking their right-wing arm" into their affairs.
  • Options
    haha
  • Options
    Yeah The Mail is nothing compared to Fox.

I love this though.
  • Options
    Heehee, let's all laugh at the silly little plebs and the silly things they read and the silly things they think, safe in the knowledge that we are fundamentally better human beings because we think different and better thoughts.
  • Options
    If people don't want their ideas ridiculing, they shouldn't have ridiculous ideas. Incidentally, I suspect what you say just there is a pretty accurate description of the way the Daily Mail view their readers.
  • Options
    IWS, Irony, Irony, IWS.
  • Options
    If people don't want their ideas ridiculing, they shouldn't have ridiculous ideas. Incidentally, I suspect what you say just there is a pretty accurate description of the way the Daily Mail view their readers.

I know how you feel. However I've developed a tactic, everytime my American wife's parents fall about laughing at some idiotic, ridiculous idea dreamed up by the British Government I just tell them that not all Brits are that stupid and agree with them that the latest piece of lunancy is... well lunacy
  • Options
    IWS, Irony, Irony, IWS.

I'm perfectly capable of defending my arguments. I tend to find it's people who aren't who moan about their ideas being criticised, or claim hurt feelings at the first sign or disagreement.
  • Options
    Bumped because I have just come across this rather brilliant homage to the Daily Mail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

:D
  • Options
    hahaha, awesome. I was signing along by the 2nd time listening to it.
  • Options
    so, so, true.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Bumped because I have just come across this rather brilliant homage to the Daily Mail:

:lol: Legend.
    Xx
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

I was going to post this in here but totally forgot. It made me laugh so much when I first saw it :D.
  • Options
    Hmm, I thought I posted that on here. Or saw it on here and posted it somewhere else. Must've been two other websites.
  • Options
    funny, and they're cute too.