Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

weird addiction :S

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay this might sound really weird, but is anyone else addicted to diet coke?
apparently its a lot more common than i thought, and a lot of people who are dont even realise it.
i only actually found out that i was about a month ago when i tried to stop drinking it for a week, but i got headaches and panicky and a sore stomach. The amount of die coke that i drink in a day is about 2 litres, which is more than some people but not as high as others i think. So i told this to my friend and she was like, thats an addiction you idiot. :blush:
i already know im a caffeine addict (hey, its better than other stuff :hyper: ) so maybe that has something to do with it.
either way, its an addiction (even if it isn't as bad as my other one), so i was wondering if it could do any long term damage or affect my health in any way? I've tried googling this but it hasn't really come up with anything particularly useful...

Comments

• Options
    I go through 2L per week, being pretty fond of the stuff too. The bottle says that there is only 1 calorie per 250ml glass, so that's 8 calories to the entire bottle. Therefore, there shouldn't be a weight-gain problem. I know that full fat fizzy drinks won't do favours, but I, too, always wondered if there were side effects of diet coke addiciton. That's 2 people posing the question now. Diet coke addicts unite!
  • Options
    Full fat coke all the way!

Personally I don't like the artificial sweetness taste...
  • Options
    Hi imnotarobot,

Diet coke is something that you could become addicted to. It contains caffeine. Diet Coke, or any diet fizzy drink usually contains sweeteners (including aspartame), additives, colourings and flavourings. Why not check out the Food Standards Agency website to check out all the technical and official guidance on these?

As the saying goes - everything in moderation. 2 litres daily of any fizzy drink seems excessive. The symptoms you described can be associated with caffeine withdrawal - see this page, but could possibly be related to the other ingredients in the Diet Coke you drink.

If you wanted to cut down on drinking Diet Coke, why not replace some of what you drink with another, more natural and healthier drink? (fizzy water with lemon and ice, milk, herbal tea or just good old water).

You could also talk to someone at NHS Direct (0845 4647), who may be able to talk through some of the possible health implications of drinking too much Diet Coke with you?

Hope this helps - take care :)
  • Options
    You might want a quick chat to your dentist too.

It may be sugar free but its still monster acidic and will be rapidly getting rid of your tooth enamel which is irrepairable damage.

If you want a clue as to what it's doing to the surface of your teeth find a yukky coin, try and clean it yourself and not a lot will happen. Leave it in coke or diet coke over night and check it in the morning.

It will be relatively shiny because the coke has taken the grime off.

That's the same kind of thing it does to your tooth enamel, and yes, you obviously don't have it in your mouth over night, but on 2l a day you're giving your teeth a pretty regular coating.
  • Options
    Yup, I used to drink 2-4l of Pepsi Max in a day. I just cut down til I stopped though, realising it wasn't very good for me and, as Scary Monster says, it's really bad for your teeth.
  • Options
    I used to drink about 3 litres everyday...it's really not a good idea:D i guess it is an addiction tho, certainly felt like it!
    xxx
  • Options
    thanks for the replies, they were very helpful, and I'm trying to read through all of the links Harry posted :)
    And btw..... diet is so much better than full fat coke :P
  • Options
    Is 2L per week ok? That's what I'm on. What about slimline tonic water with gin? I know that gin is a separate issue and is ok in moderation (alcohol) but I wondered if the tonic water was ok too, being a fizzy drink?
  • Options
    i think 2 litres a day is excessive! 2 litres in a week sounds fine though Monserrat. i stopped drinking caffeine at all two weeks ago and i think i feel better for it :)
  • Options
    Pepsi Max > Diet Coke
  • Options
    Diet isn't better for you, not really.. It has aspartame.
    http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
  • Options
    Tastes better though.
  • Options
    yeah i think i might be addicted to diet coke to. i always get told i drink to much of it but i just cant resist its like i need it :P
    it sounds silly but oh well!
  • Options
    Diet isn't better for you, not really.. It has aspartame.
    http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
    Yeh, this.

I don't really drink a whole lot of fizzy drinks anymore because when I was in college one of my friends told me they could give you brain tumours (woo!) because of the aspartame.

Saying that - she drank Pepsi because that doesn't have aspartame in it...
  • Options
    haha i would go onto pepsi but its rank :P
    plus im addicted to diet coke, its like i need it to survive the day :D
  • Options
    It's all about the caffeine. Just the same as people who can't survive without a cup of tea or coffee. I know people who get headaches and shakes without their caffeine fix. It's basically like speed. I suggest you cut down and stop relying on whatever drink - have it as a treat, not a necessity to get you through the day.
  • Options
    I used to drink LOADS and I mean LOADS of Relentless. I still would... it just cost me too much. So then I moved on to J2O, and then pepsi max... But they are so bad for you !! I think it's all about cutting down on the amount, like wooooooooah said.
    Xx