Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My Rights as a Father

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all, I am new here so go easy on me...

I am also from the UK. I have been in a relationship with my Polish girlfriend for 4 years now, we have a child together who is three, I am on the birth certificate but we were never married. Anyway, things between mum and I have been going down hill fast and 3 weeks ago we split up, she was living with me in my apartment and has moved out to live with her sister.

I contacted her last night with the hope I may be able to spend this weekend with Oliwia (my daughter) the reply I got was a simple 'No...' after much debate, she eventually told me she was leaving to go back to Poland on Friday and the chance of me seeing my daughter before this date is nill due to my work commitments and her attitude.

Just wondered what my rights were and how much it will cost to get a visiting order in place? Where do I go from here???

Thanks for your help.
Adrian

Comments

• Options
    First off, I'd suggest contacting a lawyer or taking legal advice immediately.

Secondly, check this out, VERY good website
    http://www.separateddads.co.uk/DealingWithYourExPartnerAndChildMovingAway.html
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding like an optimistic idiot, is there any way you can talk to your ex about what's best for your daughter rather than who has the most legal/moral rights as a parent? I know you've probably already tried that, but can you think of a reason why your ex is being like she is? Maybe she really missed Poland and felt trapped here, or maybe she's upset about splitting up with you and wants to see her parents, or blames you for the relationship not working out. I know there's no excuse for it, but some mothers do seem to act like this initally, not always out of spite or to deprive their child of a father, usually because they feel bitter and insecure and are thinking of themselves rather than their child. If you know why she's refusing to let you see your daughter and going back to poland so quickly maybe you could send her an e-mail something saying that you understand why she wants to go to poland and you want to do everything you can to be their for your child. Make sure you get legal advice though, because things will be more difficult when your daughter is in Poland, which your ex might know. As far as I know the fact that you're not married might be a problem, but if your name is on the birth certificate you should have some rights.