Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How do you cope with the pressures of life in modern society?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Personally, I find it all so overwhelming. How do you live - emotionally, physically, economically, socially and with some level of foufuilment in society today.

It's hard to know where to start, even harder to start and seems to be utterly pointless.

I can't relate to the relentless pace and fickle disposition of society today. I don't know how I can possibly "fit in and get by" when there are so many things working against me, us, all. There is nothing left but beauracracy, struggle and dissapointment in every faucet of life in nearly every case.

I feel a real need to escape, but theres nowhere really to go.

Comments

• Options
    I despise it. In fact if I could do it just now; I'd bemoan it as being artificial; conformist and materialistic; at length.
  • Options
    AHL wrote: »
    I despise it. In fact if I could do it just now; I'd bemoan it as being artificial; conformist and materialistic; at length.

I also despise it, for reasons you say but also because it's just so unrelateable and a complete sespit to me. In every single way, nothing is forthright and everything seems corrupted by something or someone or binded by some form of beauracracy. Why is it so hard to just get by, economically? It never used to be.
  • Options
    geneve wrote: »
    What pressures? What I can't control, I don't let bother me!

Just everything. Everything's set against you. Just one example of an exhaustive list - Going for a Job, any job? Good luck finding one, and then actually getting it. Employers have become relentless and most unwilling to invest training and effort into their staff. All requirements are left to you. People are disposible in their view. My mother, who's only in her 40's, told me things are a far cry from what they once were when she was in the job market. You need experience for entry level employment. Jobs, anyone can actually do. Want to do something like portering in a hospital as a semi-long term interim job that requires minimal qualification of which you far exceed? This happened to me, I got to the interview and was told "I'm sorry, you have no hospital experience". What??? Portering? How else should I get experience in a hospital and really, how valuable would that experience be other than a tick in a box?

This is only a small element of what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    geneve wrote: »
    What pressures? What I can't control, I don't let bother me!

I think that's the only way to deal with things. BoredOften, I know what you're taking about, because I'm trying to find a job too and so many people are unemployed that I can't even volunteer without experience. It sounds annoying and pointless, but just do what you can and don't worry about the things that are up to other people (which I know is difficult). If you want to work in a hospital, for example, start learning another language, like Polish or Urdu, or sign language. I know small things like that don't add up to much, but at least you're doing something.
    The way I deal with stuff is to do things that now seem to be archaic, like making bread myself instead of buying it, or sewing ripped clothes instead of throwing them away. It sounds stupid, but its so much easier to deal with things if you accept that not everything has to be done this minute.