Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Taking yourself into A&E

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:) Heyy,
quick question. If someone tried to kill themselves, and took themsevles into A&E becuase they changed their mind or whatever would they have to wait in A&E or would they get seen straight off?
Thanks guys, I know this has probably been asked before.
Xx

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think it would depend on 1001 different things, tbh.
  • Options
    Okay... well, lets say they've taken tablets.
    Xx
  • Options
    I think they would have to take into consideration how many pills they've ingested and what type. But if it's serious then I would have thought urgently. Your friend could ring NHS Direct to ask or thesite have a video on going to a and e as well as a factsheet.

factsheet: http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/whathappensataande

video: http://www.thesite.org/audioandvideo/video/healthandwellbeing/goingtoaande

although it may be scary going to a and e i think it would be scarier to leave it untreated.
  • Options
    It's not about a friend, and thank you for the links. :)
    Xx
  • Options
    I think it'd be good to know you've called NHS Direct B-A, it's quite distressing looking at the posts you've made. I think everyone would be pretty reassured to know you've spoken to someone qualified to answer a couple of your recent questions.
  • Options
    However, if you're not posting about yourself then I really think it's important that you let the person involved know how much you care about them, but that it's really important for them to speak to someone about what they might have done. If they have taken pills then it's important they are seen quickly. Trying to ignore what they might have done or talking in general about it might not help a lot in this situation, they need to be speaking to a medical professional, at least someone who can judge the possible ramifications of their actions.

In answer to your original point, it's likely they'd be seen extremely quickly at least until the triage nurse was able to figure out exactly how bad the situation was.
  • Options
    I'm fine, No one worry. Sorry I posted, I just wondered. I'm not going, I've been a little sick but it's been worse.
    Thanks
    Xx
  • Options
    Okay, well just remember NHS Direct is confidential, if you wanted to just quickly reassure yourself about anything then it's just a quick phone call.
  • Options
    I'm not going, I've been a little sick but it's been worse.

BA, you've said you're not going to go to A&E now, but please think about getting checked. I don't know what / how much you've taken... and I don't want to know.... but even if you only feel a litte sick, theres other damage that goes on with overdoses... and it would be good if you could get that checked out. Maybe you could start by ringing up the NHS Direct, see what they recommend?
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just wanted to say. I've been sick about 3 times, maybe more. But I am fine now, sorry about last night! Some stuff happened, and I was a bit upset.
    Xx
  • Options
    Awww you seem to have so much to cope with all the time yet you always have a kind word and advice for people on here, make sure you take care of yourself in the same way. I know life can seem shity at times but you have to faith that it will get better and i know you are strong enough to make it happen.
    Big love to you xxx
  • Options
    I've never been in after taking an overdose, but I imagine they would have to see you pretty quick just in case.

I went in after cutting, and I had to wait for like 3 hours on every occasion :banghead:
  • Options
    Where did you cut?
  • Options
    Hi, just to say, it's not really that helpful to go into the specific details of how someone has self-harmed. Outside of trying to provide someone with specific help dealing with a cut the specifics don't really add a lot to the support that can be provided.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just wanted to say. I've been sick about 3 times, maybe more. But I am fine now, sorry about last night! Some stuff happened, and I was a bit upset.
    Xx

I don't want to scare you, but you still should see someone. I accidently took an overdose several years ago and it has messed up my immune system.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I don't want to scare you, but you still should see someone. I accidently took an overdose several years ago and it has messed up my immune system.

Yeah, the bloke in hospital last time said I'd fuck up my liver and kidneys? Something like that.
    And I'm okay now, I've had an on/off headache for a few days but I don't think it's to do with this.
    Xx
  • Options
    Yeah, the bloke in hospital last time said I'd fuck up my liver and kidneys? Something like that.
    And I'm okay now, I've had an on/off headache for a few days but I don't think it's to do with this.
    Xx

Well yeah it tends to depend on what you take.

You keep saying you're fine or okay, yet you were sick and have a headache. Sure it might not be linked - but it might be. And also, like I said before, you might not be able to tell anything is wrong right now.

I guess I don't want for there to be sometime in the future where you look back and regret not getting it checked out.
  • Options
    None of it fucking matters. I wont be here for long anyway, I hate life. I hate hate hate it. I don't want to be here, it isn't fair. :(
  • Options
    Babe, please your going to see HIM on 18th arent you? look forward to that and dont do anything, i love you!
  • Options
    I'm fine. Didn't take many, I only wanted to sleep :) It's all good. Sorry for mentioning anything.
    Xx
  • Options
    I know how you feel and I feel sorry for you :(
  • Options
    I can't die. I've taken so many this week. Why am I still here? I don't want to be anymore. I don't want to be here at all. I hate it. How many do I have to take for fuck sake?!
  • Options
    B-A you really need to consider calling NHS Direct or speaking to someone close to you about how you are feeling.

Looking through your posts about having a laugh with a marker pen, or reading some great books or what it was like watching Mika - it's clear there are times when you are happy. It sounds like you could do with some help remembering those possibilities of happiness even when things are bad.

Counselling and other talking treatments would be able to help you maintain that perspective, so please consider accessing some help.
  • Options
  • Options
    That's scary :| I just read it.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

Looking through your posts about having a laugh with a marker pen, or reading some great books or what it was like watching Mika - it's clear there are times when you are happy.

That's just it.... I'm so happy, like mega happy and then someone says something and that's it. Like, my friend is currently in hospital becuase he's hung himself, and my mums back with her dick of a boyfriend, and I got in a fight, and I've started drinking loads. It just takes tiny little things, and all my happiness is worthless. Take today, I had my hand up in a lesson and the teacher told me to put it down because he'd covered everything. That made me really angry and I ran out the room and called him a twat... I didn't mean to. It just happened :crying:
    I just want to die. I really want to die.
    Xx
  • Options
    Just try to remember, you don't automatically grow up being able to handle everything. It's not a failure if you can't without support and it's not wrong if getting some help can make a difference. Talking treatments can be hugely helpful in dealing with changes in mood and feelings when you hear something that upsets you.

Just do something you enjoy and have a think about whether you might want to look for some support and services that can give you some control over how you are feeling :)