Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Winsock problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was having issues with my internet connection (turned out to be a problem with the hosts file). In the course of trying to solve the problem I did:
netsh winsock reset catalog

But apparently this will have removed all third-party LSPs and caused the softwares to not work properly. However I don't know which software might have been affected and need reinstalling - any ideas?

The problem now is, I can only connect to the internet using DHCP to get an IP address automatically. If I enter a static IP, I can see the router, but not the internet.

Could this be to do with messing around with winsock? Does anyone know how I can fix this? Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm so I can set a static IP, but have to leave the DNS server set to the router (192.168.1.1). If I use anything else here (inc. the ISP's servers) it doesn't connect.
  • Options
    That might be something that needs configuring on your router itself.
  • Options
    I have a feeling the guy who controls the router has messed around with the settings. I used to be able to log into the admin page, now it seems the password has been changed. Grrr.