Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's compulsory.

But I'm a bloke, perhaps the rules are different for you.

I did once lose it during a routine checkup with a nurse though. I don't know which of us was more embarrassed.
  • Options
    Yeah i have had that but then you dont have to cry
  • Options
  • Options
    I guess avoiding the issues isn't good, but generally when I avoided subjects they were worked towards more gently on subsequent visits.

But It's been a long time, and I don't remember exactly.
  • Options
    I went to counselling, I didn't like it... but that isn't the point. It is best to be as honest as possible with your therapists, but if you really don't want to say something don't feel you have to. However, the more you can say the more they can help you :-)

Xx
  • Options
  • Options
    They deal with these things every day, remember that :-) They are there to help you, and comfort you when you feel down
    Good luck, and I hope that the therapy helps,
    Xx
  • Options
  • Options
    i hope this is what you mean, just tell me if its not.

I cannot go near certain subjects as i just break down. I think it does matter to a certain extent but i dont think its anything to worry about. I cant cry infront of my therapist but last week i did because i went near the subject of me overdosing. wasnt nice, it took me ages to tell her i had overdosed but i did it. :) Im not sure if this is what you meant :/ x
  • Options
    Hey :)

Therapy can be strange sometimes, I don't know what it's like to have a male therapist because mine is a girl, but some things are just hard to say to a man I think, you may disagree I dunno.

Are you are person who cries alot generally? I'm quite a crying sort of person so I just let it out. And just to say that it isn't a weakness to cry even though some people think it is, it makes certain people feel vulnerable, maybe that why you don't cry in therapy??

I hope this has helped!
  • Options
    When I was first having psychotherapy I used to avoid things that made me upset or vulnerable, but ultimately if you don't get to those places where you're the most hurt you won't get the healing you're there for.

It's really tough to do, but you need to let your therapist poke around in the uncomfortable places and, yes, it might make you cry in front of her. No one will think any less of you for it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok well, maybe you feel like your therapist knows you too well now? maybe you see him too much as a friend?

I find it difficult to talk to people im close to so it's possible that you feel like you are being judged even though he isnt judging you. Everytime I go into my session with my councellor, I constantly feel paranoid about what she's thinking and have to be constantly reassured that she isn't judging me.

Maybe you need to tell him that you feel scared of crying coz then maybe he can help you in someway.

:heart:
  • Options
  • Options
    yeh that could be a problem....you should be able to tell him evrything without worrying what he is thinking. If you know he wont judge you then tel him exactly what you have planned to do, if he is good at his job and none judgemenal then he will understand. don't worry what he thinks and if he does have a problem then he is in the wrong not you ok. xx
  • Options
  • Options
    but surely he wudn't tell anyone?? he is suposed to keep things confidential so knowmatter what you say it should be kept in the room.

I have told my councellor about my suicidal thoughts and she has just helped me through them, she would never take anything further without my permission.