Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

18 months

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right so I've been on a waiting list for 18 months....

Its for a minor procedure.... need to get a mole removed. Well I say "need", doctor said there was no urgent need to get it removed, but could be best in the long term just to be rid of it, and that she could do it herself. Can't just get it burned off (uggg)... need a mole excision + stitches so it can get tested.

I understand that obviously i'll just be on the routine list so it might take a while... but 18 months plus? I swear I didn't even wait that long for operations that required an in-patient stay.

I asked after a year and all they could tell me was that I was on the list.

Tbh, I am so fed up with my GP surgery (before anyone tells me to be patient, trust me... I ran out of patience when, for about the 5th time, I wasn't able to get an appointment within a 6 week window with my GP, and therefore have subsequently given up on getting treatment for something else.)

So yeah, has anyone else had to wait this long for a similar thing?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Purplestarfish,

Sorry to hear that you have had to wait so long for your appointment to have your mole removed. Any medical procedure creates anxiety and it sounds like that even though it's not 'urgent', the procedure is playing on your mind. There is some information on the NHS Choices website that states that "no one should wait more than 18 weeks for consultant-led NHS treatment". Why don't you check this out, and if it relates to you - perhaps you could ask your GP and / or hospital about why your appointment has taken 18 months, not 18 weeks?

If you are unhappy with the service that you get from your GP, you are well within your rights to change your GP or make a complaint. This page may help you to consider those options?

Hopefully some of this helps, take care and good luck. :)
  • Options
    bw.jpg
    thgoatse_02-1.jpg
    Hello.jpg
    goatse_08-1.jpg
    goatse_19.jpg
    goatse_04.jpg
    04.jpg
    Nadja-0017-1.jpg
    eat-shit-blog.jpg
    FournierGangrene.jpg

You just got OWNED!
    FEEL THE SPOCKER! oooo YEA!
    Can't BEAT ME! JOIN ME!
  • Options
    Ergh, still not been seen. Gonna contact them AGAIN tomorrow. Its really not cool. At this rate I'll be cutting it off myself.
  • Options
    That is a really long time, especially if, as I understand it, you are having it done at the GP's surgery? I could understand it a bit more if you'd been referred to hospital.

I had the same thing done a few years ago, my GP did it, and I think I waited about 3 weeks. It wasn't a next day kind of deal, but it definitely wasn't long!

I would also consider changing doctors, if there's another in the area. Waiting over 6 weeks for a normal appointment is not really on.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    I would also consider changing doctors, if there's another in the area. Waiting over 6 weeks for a normal appointment is not really on.

:yes: The longest I've waited is a week - but I was away for 2 of those days; so can't really complain.
  • Options
    I just called up and they're now saying I only went on the list in September 2009... i'm like WHAT.

And even then... thats 10 months. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Give them a call and ask how you make a formal complaint.
  • Options
    They've just called me up and apologised, apparently I had been "missed" and they were sorry =/

She said could i make a cancellation tomorrow. Which I can't.... So now it seems I'm on the list and "I will hear in the next few months".

Scary - is it worth complaining?
  • Options
    Its worth thinking about. Its been going on a long time and no progress has really been made. If you'd been referred to a hospital service they would have had to treat you within 18 weeks. Hearing in the next few months when you've been waiting so long already isn't really acceptable.
  • Options
    I feel your pain! Although for a different reason, I also waited a VERY long time for a referral and got "lost" in the system a couple of times!! I was not happy! I got in touch with PALS (think that they should be one in your area) and that helped things speed up and get sorted!!! Hope you get sorted soon!
  • Options
    Hi Purplestarfish,

Sorry to hear that the hospital have missed your referral, must be really frustrating.

As sparky star says, you can contact the PALS (Patient Advice and Liasion Service) in your area for advice on how to lodge an informal complaint. PALS are attached to the NHS. Or you could also contact ICAS (Independant Complaints and Advocacy Service) - this is an independant service that supports people to make a formal complaint. This service is delivered by different organisations, depending on where you live. See this page for the provider.

We hope that you get the procedure done soon - :)
  • Options
    So now it seems I'm on the list and "I will hear in the next few months"

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I hate THE SYSTEM. Still not heard

Thinking about complaining now tbh.
  • Options
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I hate THE SYSTEM. Still not heard

Thinking about complaining now tbh.

:yes: Sound's like a good idea.

Did you check out the PALS team in your area? They really should be able to help you. They were set up to try to resolve situations such as yours. Play the system with thier own system.

Take care :)
  • Options
    Harry23 wrote: »
    :yes: Sound's like a good idea.

Did you check out the PALS team in your area? They really should be able to help you. They were set up to try to resolve situations such as yours. Play the system with thier own system.

Take care :)

I will do now - thanks Harry :d