Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

hot water burns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heyy.. erm can you put a bandage on a burn after it's cooled down sort of thing? I know it's cling film etc... but can you put a bandage on after that?
Thanks
Xx

Comments

• Options
    I guess so. As long as the bandage doesn't stick to the burn. because that'd hurt when removing the bandage! But after initial healing I'd leave it open to the air to breathe :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks guys :-)
    It's on my hand and all down my fingers so it's ouchy...
    Xx
  • Options
    Burns bigger than a 50p piece need medical advice.
  • Options
    Burns bigger than a 50p piece need medical advice.

oh.. seriously? It's like half my right hand. I'm going to leave it, and see what happens I think.
    It isn't mega bad
    Xx
  • Options
    Really.

Burns are massively prone to infection, so watch it like a hawk if you decide to be a fool and not get it looked at.
  • Options
    I can't really get it looked at.. it was sort of self harm, and I knew it'd hurt... but it hurts a tad more than I kinda thought it might.
    I'm trying to stop cutting.. but I think this might be a little worse :-S
    Xx
  • Options
    Seek medical assistance in the following situations:
      if the burn is on the face, hands, [...]

just tell them it was an accident. cutting is probably safer.
  • Options
    just letting you all know it's getting better... one of my fingers is swollen, but I don't know if it's because of burns or it's something else... Anyway, it's a bit icky still but I've got a gauze (isthat the name? The cotton things, with a shiny side) over the main bit of my hand.
    Thanks
    Xx
  • Options
    If your finger is swollen you need to go and see someone. Now.

All you have to do is pretend that the handle fell off your mug of tea. (That has actually happened to me while I was drying a mug and I have a sexy ass scar on my hand still after twelve years). Nobody is going to accuse you of lying, they haven't got a mind reader.

Just go. Or at least go to Boots or a pharmacy and ask them about it. I know how bad infected burns can get. That was how I harmed, and I would let them get infected so that they would make me ill. It wasn't pretty. Get it sorted.
  • Options
    so watch it like a hawk if you decide to be a fool and not get it looked at.

"decide to be a fool." Really? Nice at being non judgemental.

BA I burnt my hand in a similar way a few years ago, it was ok in the end and I don't have any scarring today - but I went to hospital to get it checked over.

If nothing else just go to your local GP and ask him to have a quick look at it - he will be able to tell if it's ok to just let heal or whether it could cause any dangers (for example your finger swelling, in burns when you get swelling it could cause complications like to blood circulation which is bad for your fingers!).

Take care x
  • Options
    Just to pick up on that circulation thing:

You don't want that to happen. I once wore stupid shoes to walk to the train station for a job interview, and they ripped up my feet to the point where the little joint on my big toe has lost proper circulation and I think it cut through a nerve. Every time I touch it it goes all tingly and weird and it's not nice.

Seriously babe, go get it looked at. Nobody will judge you.
  • Options
    I saw my uncle earlier, and he said I probs wouldnt need to go to hospital (he was a nurse)
    Anyway, the finger isn't as swollen as it was. I've got a proper bandage thing over it now.. it doesn't look burnt though. It's just a bit red, my hand. It doesn't hurt anymore though
    Thanks guys
    Xx
  • Options
    Glad to hear your hand is getting better :)
  • Options
    that's pretty useful that your uncle is was a nurse!
    glad it's getting better too :)
  • Options
    Most my family are doctors haha! My Grandads a surgon, my Nans a nurse, my uncle was but he works in a mental health hospital now, and my great uncle was a GP.

Anyway, it is getting better which is alright :-) it's only really my fingers that hurt now if I touch them... so I'm not going to touch them haha
    Xx