Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

help me find something to wear to a wedding!

my fella's sister is getting married in 3 months time so i'm trying to sort out my outfit now :blush:

i'm looking at dresses online but they are all so expensive :( all of the ones i've seen that are suitable are £100-£200. add shoes, jewellery and a handbag and you are looking at alot more! lol. i mean, i'm going to one of my close friend's wedding later on in the year so i don't mind spending a bit as i can wear it again i guess!

i haven't been to a wedding in years so i'm not sure what happens. obviously as a family member (almost, haha!) i'll be there all day. do i need to wear something different in the evening after the actual ceremony or can i get away with just wearing the one outfit?

does anyone know of any good places where i could get a dress? the places i've been looking are coast, monsoon, debenhams, etc.

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The way I see it is, if you can wear it again and you are aware of a time where you know it will be suitable to wear again (and nobody will know ;)) then the expense is worth it.

Rich bought me (I'm paying him back half) a lovely dress from Monsoon with a black shrug which came to £130. I wore it for our posh Valentine's dinner, but I know I can wear it again at my cousin's wedding in March and his friends' wedding in April and probably something else before I lose too much weight for it to be too big. That's...what...£40-45 for each thing? Which is bargainous.

Divide it by the amount of times you know you'll be able to wear it and it doesn't seem like such a big expense. Monsoon has some lovely ones for about £100ish.
  • Options
    Weddings are so varied these days i went to one the other year and i got a dress from hunters and gatherers i can't remember how much it was (and i have a feeling i don't want to remember lol) but then there was another where people had jeans on :no:
    Its usually the same outfit all day, or it has been for the ones i went to. I was going to suggest Debenhams but you've looked there lol. Modcloth is an amazing website but you have to order from America. Asos? Dorothy perkins? I'm not sure, i hate shopping for wedding outfits.
  • Options
    hehe, i suppose thats a good way of looking at it franki :D

just remembered, one of his friend's are getting married this year too so thats 3 weddings i've gotta go to...his mate's, my mate's and his sister's! if i can wear the outfit 3 times then it won't seem so bad, haha. the people there will be different so i suppose i can get away with it. it will only be my boyfriend who has seen me in the outfit before!

i might try and persuade my fella to buy me the outfit seeing as its HIS sister's wedding, hahaha. i don't reckon he'll be easily persuaded though! lol!

will i need a different outfit in the evening then or do you reckon i can get away with the one?
  • Options
    will i need a different outfit in the evening then or do you reckon i can get away with the one?

I don't think many people change between day and evening. Certainly no one did at my wedding.
  • Options
    the bride normally does though doesn't she?

i think thats why i'm thinking people get changed!
  • Options

Yeah, sometimes the bride gets changed but most guests who are there all day don't. I didn't for my sisters wedding and I'm pretty sure nobody else did!
  • Options

I didn't! Just took my veil off. That dress was the most expensive item of clothing I've ever bought. I was getting my bloody money's worth out of it!

Never been to one where the bride's changed, either, although I'm sure some do. Just wedding companies trying to squeeze more money out of you.
  • Options
    ahhhhhhh, well ok, i reckon i'll get the one outfit then if thats whats normal!

i haven't been a wedding in sooooo long!
  • Options
    I didn't get changed at mine! Neither did any of my guests. Although, I think the wedding you are going to will be a bit more posh and upmarket than mine :lol:
  • Options
    Have you tried Lipsy? :heart:
  • Options
    i love lipsy dresses but they don't do the sort-of dresses i want to wear to a wedding really...they are more going-out dresses.
  • Options
    i got changed in the evening at my brother's wedding but that was only because i was staying at the hotel the reception in so it was easy to nip upstairs and do that! also because my day outfit was quite posh and i wanted a dress that was easier to dance in in the evening. in general though, people don't get changed!
    i've got a wedding to go to later in the year and i think i'm going to get something from coast or karen millen. not cheap, but so pretty! plus, they have sales on atm, so you might get a bargain!
    you're right about shoes and bags though, i was planning on spending £200 on a dress, but didnt think about extra things i'd need...
  • Options
    does it have to be really posh? i would just wear something like this http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=151405&parent_category_rn=42344&productId=1600177&langId=-1 floral, cute and something you could wear again. pair it with a cute cardigan and heels and tights. looovely.
  • Options
    well, not REALLY posh but i've been told i'm going to be in the family photos. everyone else is going to be done up really posh so i don't want to stick out like a sore thumb in a cheap dress really :|

i think his sister is expecting me to buy a posh dress to be honest! she's already gone "ooo, you gonna look in monsoon or somewhere like that for a nice dress?". monsoon to me means EXPENSIVE, lol.

that dress is really cute but i don't really want a cotton-type dress. satin or silk i reckon.

urgh. what a nightmare :impissed:
  • Options
  • Options
    or theres this one from coast...http://www.coast-stores.com/MYLEE-ONE-SHOULDER-DRESS/Dresses/coast/fcp-product/2224686184

bit more expensive though!

not sure if any of these are suitable? argh, i'm so crap!
  • Options

Sometimes but I've rarely seen that TBH.

Certainly my Mrs said that she'd been looking forward for year to getting married (although I'm not arrogant enough to think that it was actually me she was thinking about all those years!) and she was buggered if she was going to take the dress off after only a couple of hours!

NB Franki's advice was the best!
  • Options
    I like the Miss selfridges one :yes:
  • Options
    If you are going to spend 100-200 pounds on a dress you might as well find a nice DVF dress on sale. On sale i usually spend about 130pounds, dress them up and you have a very dressey dress or dress it down and you can wear it for clubbing.

I wore the nell dress for my sisters engagement party which was a dressey thing and then we went out clubbing later on (i just wiped off some make up and took my stockings off), then for valentines day i wore the nevine dress (which i don't recommend if you dont have a lot of curves) and we went for a posh dinner at Buddha bar and then went upstairs clubbing.

Moral of the story, her dresses are the right balance you'll need and won't cost you a fortune if you get them on sale
  • Options
    go to http://www.dvf.com/dvf/home.jsp?storeId=store_uk > shop online > sale > page 4 (stupid links wouldn't work)

The dresses i like are on the middle row, the berry coloured one and the silver one

I know they're more expensive than 200pounds but you can wear regular black patent leather shoes with them both and accessories for them are fairly standard staple pieces. Only problem is, the berry coloured one is a wool dress.

ETA: if you're going to order one don't forget they're US sizes
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I like the Miss selfridges one :yes:

me tooo.
  • Options
    I saw the coast one in the coast shop today, it's lovely! they have loads to choose from, but are expensive.

Like the miss selfridge one too - will look good for a Spring wedding.
  • Options
    I wouldn't wear something above the knee to a wedding.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear something above the knee to a wedding.

No, I was going to say something similar. The Miss S one is lovely, but personally I'd go for something a little more modest for a day do. Especially if it's a family wedding. For a night do it'd be spot on.
  • Options
    yeah, i thought that to myself last night! his family are used to seeing me in skirts/dresses above the knee (as thats just me, i dress up quite girly alot of the time) but i was thinking that maybe i should get something a little longer especially as i am quite tall (and therefore things look shorter because of my stupid long legs).

i might have a look in coast at the weekend :)
  • Options
    I got a really nice coast dress in the sale for £55 which i'm going to wear to a wedding in the summer - i think with their things they are so classic you don't need to get this seasons style.

Have you also considered Ebay - either to buy a dress or to sell one on when your done with it. I also would go knee length for a wedding especially if your going to be in the photographs.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I got a really nice coast dress in the sale for £55 which i'm going to wear to a wedding in the summer - i think with their things they are so classic you don't need to get this seasons style.

i went to cheshire oaks today. its a designer outlet so everything is a bit cheaper. i went into coast and found a lovely dress. it was supposed to be £135 but on the tag is said £63. i thought to myself bargain and after trying it on, decided to buy it. when i got to the till, the lady who served me said it was £29. i was like "are you sure?" and she explained that the dress hadn't been marked up correctly. BARGAIN! i got a £135 dress for £29!!!

its lovely. it sits on the knee as well so its suitable for a family wedding :D

i've managed to find a picture of it on google (it must have been from last season's collection as its not on their website now)...could i have some opinions please?

the picture doesn't make it look that nice really (it doesn't have those big creases on the bottom part of the dress as the dress in the picture does) but it looks really nice on. it fits me really well and looks very flattering around the waist, etc. is it alright for a wedding? my friend was with me at the time and said it was but i'm not sure if theres too much black on the dress?

opinions would be appreciated. i can return the dress within 28 days you see. thankkkks :blush:
  • Options
    yup. Get a little cardi or a nice pasmina and you're away:thumb:

Fucking bargain too. I love outlets!
  • Options
    i knowwww :D

i'm well chuffed because it means i have more pennies to spend on the rest of the outfit now....yanno, shoes, jewellery, handbag...

yeah, i'm gonna get myself a little something to wear over it too :)