Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

We need some help and advice please!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My girlfriend and i have been together for 4 years, i'm 26 and she's 21. We have a 3 year old son. We hadn't been together long when she fell pregnant but we decided to keep the child, despite my girlfriend being only 17 at the time. She was barely 18 when our son was born, but motherhood came easy to her and she's a great mum. That said i don't doubt it must've been hard and perhaps unfair for her to have to grow up so quickly.
When we met it was obvious how different we were but i think that was part of the attraction, however as time has gone on our differences seem to have divided us. We still love and care for each other, but we have little in common and we bicker a lot. For a guy i'm fairly sensitive and my mood is affected by hers, i'm generally a happy go lucky, cheerful sort where as she is often moody and quiet, so her attitude often annoys me.
She is very intelligent, and constantly studying. When she's not studying she's reading. I respect her drive and ambition, but there not qualities we share. I find her dull.
There are no major problems in the relationship just an underlying feeling that we're not a good match, due to our different personalities and general demeanor. I guess things just don't feel right.
We've decided it would probably be best to part ways while we still have love and respect for one another.
Any way thats my side of the story, heres hers-
When our son was six months old we bought a house together and we struggle for money every month and tend to live from pay check to pay check. This is the main reason why I am studying. I aim to become a solictor and am currently doing my law decree with the OU. I am a lot more moody than I was 4 years ago and it is something about my self that I really don't like. I work part time and he works full time so I do the housework which in turn makes me frustrated and annoyed with him.
We used to enjoy doing things together such as playing computer games against each other or playing other games. I find that I am either too tired or too busy to do this any more. Also I would have liked to do other things but we can't really go out because of the lack of money.
We both have different outlooks on life and try to find a middle ground but when we don't I turn moody as a sub-concious form of punishment for him.
We would like advice on the best way to move forward and if splitting up is the right thing to do.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's great that you're trying to work out how best to go forward, have you thought of going for proper relationship counselling? I know money's tight, but I think Relate do them quite cheaply.

It is good for a child to have two parents, but it's best if they love each other. If you split up now you could probably remain friends, which is better than the relationship breaking down to the point you hate each other.