Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Football...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I'm an 18 year old guy, I come from a city which is prolifically associated with football. Now I no longer support any team and haven't really since about age 6, though I was "brought up an evertonion".

I have grew up to dislike the sport, and no, not in a simplistic "Oh who wants to watch a ball kicked around a field" - but for so much more sensical reasons such as the culture of what it has become, the obscenely disproportionate amounts of money involved, and the cancerous amount one non-football fans who profess to be (the fucktard football thugs).

No, not all football fans are like that, ofcourse not - but unfortunately when you go to "the match", for the game and for the atmosphere - and I myself have seen it it - for many it's one against the other quite seriously, not with competition, but with hate. Especially when they're "arbitrarily" tanked up. Yet it's the "true fans" who go to soak in that atmosphere? Nahh, that's not what they go for - but unfortunately, that's the selling point for so many others. It's become gang culture, and I know there are many out there who do not fit into such epithet - but as a whole and I'm sure many real fans will agree generically - it is exactly that.

The real fans expect to be entertained, maybe have a bit of banter with the rivals and go home. They don't want any trouble, they don't want any bullshit, and they don't wan't to end up in a fight over something inconsequential. But they do risk or end up being victims of it - which is completely unacceptable and is not taken seriously enough by both the authorities and the general public.

I'm a supporter of the passion and "togetherness" that fooball brings, and I understand completely the draw of "being part of somthing" brings. But unfortunately - today's culture has poisoned that into somthing it was never meant to be. Now "rival clubs" are herded like the sheep they are into pens because they essentially behave like animals in eachothers presence. There is no excuse, there is no reason - and this ridiculous prolific culture has to stop as there have already been so many casualties of football related violence. When football was actually football, there weren't "x" supporting pubs, fans walked to the game together and left together, then drank together, mabye got pissed and sang eachother's club song together - nomater what the result - it was a sport.

I'm starting to solidify my stance that I despise football, and all it now essentially stands for - despite the fact I do actually like it as a game and a sport. But I will not facilitate and promote it as it is now. I'm actually acusing football fans of being the victims of a minority of people's crimes, but not doing anything about it - and facilitating it's general culture, allowing it to fester into what it is now. Stand up for what you are really all about, sportsmanship and honor - the athletes before whom you revere would be turning in their grave.

Anyone feel the same? Anyone care to further the issue? Anyone disagree?