Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What kind of help is availible for self harm/depression/other similar mental health problems?
and
Is councelling different from seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist?
And
Where can i find this help?
and
Does anyone have experiences of help they wouldnt mind sharing with me!

Sorry about all the questions
xx

Comments

• Options
    Hi Lemon,

sound's like you are experiencing some things in your life at the moment that you'd like to get some help with. It's really good that you are seeking advice about what to do and the next steps you can take.

There is a lot of help out there for people suffering depression and mental health problems. What is available may also depend on the area that you live in. You could check out our local advice finder for some of the local services that are available?

The best place to start is perhaps your GP, they can start the ball rolling and refer you to the most appropriate service. How would you feel about doing this? They may refer you onto one of the professionals you have mentioned. This info may help (it's related specifically to self-harm, but the services are usually the same for all mental health difficulties.)

This info on treatments for mental health problems may be useful for you and go some way to help you understand the differences between what is out there?

Be sure to check out the 'next steps' and 'related articles' to the right of each page you look at, as they have some great links.

Good luck and keep posting, :)
  • Options
    Yeah, i have been to my doctors before and it took a long time and didnt get anywhere really and im scared of doctors at the best of times so i find that hard, but if thats what it takes i will go.
    Its hard though cus sometimes i want to get rid of this, sometimes i dnt, sometimes i dnt think i can and somtimes i just wanna give up trying
    xx
  • Options
    my counsellor is more for sorting things with coping strategies and self help, and generally talking things through.
    my psychiatrist likes to prescribe pills, but does not force me to take anything. the psychiatrist can make a diagnosis where as a counsellor can work through your feelings after a diagnosis or during, or before...
  • Options
    Hi Lemon,

If your GP has been unhelpful in the past, you may want to consider changing your GP? - This info may be useful?

Trying to work through any issue on your own is always hard and the feelings of wanting to give up trying are perfectly natural if your mood is low at the moment. If you are in education or training - there maybe someone there that you could talk to? A Tutor, mentor or advisor? If you have a Social Worker or Support Worker, they will also be able to signpost you to the right services and help with any referral.

If you want to talk anything through confidentially, you could try talking to someone at a helpline? The Samaritans for example (08457 909090 or
    Email: jo@samaritans.org) or perhaps Mind (0845 766 0163 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm))

Take care :)
  • Options
    Thanks
    I have a mentor from my church but she isnt qualified or anything. shes lovely and helps a lot but she said it would be best to see someone who knows more what they are talking about