Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US raises stakes on Iran by sending in ships and missiles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Pentagon says Patriot shield will deter strike on American allies in the Gulf

The Iranians haven't in all these years fired on American forces.
Imagine if they fired a missile at an American aircraft carrier!
No way ...it just wouldn't happen.
So I for one don't believe for a moment this is for defense.
Four countries in the middle east are getting these missiles ...nice little earner.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/31/iran-nuclear-us-missiles-gulf

Comments

• Options
    you missed a word.

American allies - like, say, Israel.
  • Options
    Once again, the most belligerant and aggressive nation on Earth for the last half a century accuses nations that have not fired a weapon in anger for decades to anyone else of being dangerous towards others.

Next up, Gary Glitter accuses UNICEF of child abuse.

Fucks sake :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I have a baseball bat by my bed. It's there in case I'm ever confronted by someone in my house.

Does that mean that I am acting offensively or defensively?
  • Options
    A few billion quids worth to Taiwan too.
    Like I've said before ...the biggest threat to America isn't climate change or terrorism it's an outbreak of peace.
    If world peace broke out tomorrow America would be screwed ...the mighty industrial military complex would collapse and they'd have to borrow money from the rest of the world ...oh hang on.

miliaryspending.jpg
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I have a baseball bat by my bed. It's there in case I'm ever confronted by someone in my house.

Does that mean that I am acting offensively or defensively?
    Unfortunately international politics is a lot more complex than that.

Of course, the supreme hypocrisy of it all is that the US and Israel have gone to extraordinary lenghts to block efforts by Iran to buy *defensive* surface-to-air missiles from Russia. So Iran has no right to protect itself apparently, but the US is quite right to install scores of missiles around it. Even though there is only one side that has quite publicly announced plans for first-strike attacks on the other- and it ain't the Iranians.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Unfortunately international politics is a lot more complex than that.

Of course, the supreme hypocrisy of it all is that the US and Israel have gone to extraordinary lenghts to block efforts by Iran to buy *defensive* surface-to-air missiles from Russia. So Iran has no right to protect itself apparently, but the US is quite right to install scores of missiles around it. Even though there is only one side that has quite publicly announced plans for first-strike attacks on the other- and it ain't the Iranians.

They haven't?

Kinda detracts from the point though. Having a defensive capability does not mean that you are on the offensive.
  • Options
    Are you sure MOK?
    They are on the offensive in that region as you well know and ...they not only have Iran surrounded now by a massive war machine thats currently spilling blood ...they keep screaming ...your next!
  • Options
    Obama - for the change you can believe in?

Lying bastard.
  • Options
    A few billion quids worth to Taiwan too.
    Like I've said before ...the biggest threat to America isn't climate change or terrorism it's an outbreak of peace.
    If world peace broke out tomorrow America would be screwed ...the mighty industrial military complex would collapse and they'd have to borrow money from the rest of the world ...oh hang on.

miliaryspending.jpg

America, as a country - currently, yet for a while - is sheer scum, isn't it?

Islamic/any form of extremism, climate change or the pope actually shitting in the woods is less a threat than America and it's youthful and cultureless (since it's existed for less than 300 years) passion for war and monotone "domination" is the greatest threat to humanity
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »

They haven't?

Kinda detracts from the point though. Having a defensive capability does not mean that you are on the offensive.

If memory serves, it has been subsequently shown that the comments in question were mistranslated to a degree significant enough to throw cold water over any claim of a specific threat to Israel.

But even if that wasn't the case, Israel is on record as not only having numerously threatened to attack Iran as well as other neighbouring states, but actually having done so numerous times.

The US and its allies wouldn't come across as such odious hypocrites if they would at least not try to torpedo every Iranian attempt to acquire defensive missile systems for themselves. The fact that they do can only be described as a fucking disgrace.

Good luck to Iran in their attempts to buy their S-300 missile systems to be honest. At the end of the day the Israelis need no fear such acquisitions at all- so long as they don't enter Iranian airspace, they're 100% safe.
  • Options

Islamic/any form of extremism, climate change or the pope actually shitting in the woods is less a threat than America and it's youthful and cultureless (since it's existed for less than 300 years) passion for war and monotone "domination" is the greatest threat to humanity

I'm not sure if I didn't understand that cos of your alcohol or mine!
  • Options
    One side is already on the offensive on a massive and deadly scale ....
    and just happens to be surrounding the country in question or am I mistaken?
  • Options
    One side is already on the offensive on a massive and deadly scale ....
    and just happens to be surrounding the country in question or am I mistaken?

Yes, It's Team America - saving the motherfucking evening, tonight on ITN... ITV news, by killing 5 insurgents in the backwaters of Afghanistan. :rolleyes:.

This war has much more far reaching consequences than many fear, I fear the stakes have been raised beyond which they should have, far beyond we would ever allow - and I can only hope our domestic security is up for what's to come as a result. This is a terrible situation for our country as a result of following some petty, arguably illegal Bush doctrine.

It has gone from a relative crusade "war on terror" following 9/11, to an international issue divided - to what, world war three? For what? I'm projecting long term here, because the defacto "solution" simply will never work. My estimation, it's 2/3 the way there and once that starts.... Once the bomb drops, everybody dies as we are in a perpetual nuclear standoff, but unlike us, the terrorists and rouge states are of the belief they have nothing to loose.
  • Options

I love rock n roll ..and film and theatre and the dream ...but it's all gone very dark.
    America have become the biggest debtor nation in history.
    They are surviving therefore on foreign aid.
    More foreign aid than all other nations put together if I recall correctly.

They have become the ultimate rogue state.
    Invasion occupation enforcement slaughter torture rendition imprisonment without trial arming other rogue states on a massive scale propaganda pre emptive wars pre emptive strikes etc.

These are just fac ts ...ignore and or ridicule at your peril me thinks.
  • Options
    I love rock n roll ..and film and theatre and the dream ...but it's all gone very dark.
    America have become the biggest debtor nation in history.
    They are surviving therefore on foreign aid.
    More foreign aid than all other nations put together if I recall correctly.

They have become the ultimate rogue state.
    Invasion occupation enforcement slaughter torture rendition imprisonment without trial arming other rogue states on a massive scale propaganda pre emptive wars pre emptive strikes etc.

These are just fac ts ...ignore and or ridicule at your peril me thinks.

Re-read my post, I was not supporting North America's modern endeavours. I was actually saying their actions damaged the world far and beyond we are even allowed to see right now.

I quote, and note the sarchasm in the starting sentence...
    Yes, It's Team America - saving the motherfucking evening, tonight on ITN... ITV news, by killing 5 insurgents in the backwaters of Afghanistan. .

This war has much more far reaching consequences than many fear, I fear the stakes have been raised beyond which they should have, far beyond we would ever allow - and I can only hope our domestic security is up for what's to come as a result. This is a terrible situation for our country as a result of following some petty, arguably illegal Bush doctrine.

It has gone from a relative crusade "war on terror" following 9/11, to an international issue divided - to what, world war three? For what? I'm projecting long term here, because the defacto "solution" simply will never work. My estimation, it's 2/3 the way there and once that starts.... Once the bomb drops, everybody dies as we are in a perpetual nuclear standoff, but unlike us, the terrorists and rouge states are of the belief they have nothing to loose.
  • Options
    democracy_in_the_wrong_hands_-_helm.jpg
  • Options
    Re-read my post, I was not supporting North America's modern endeavours. I was actually saying their actions damaged the world far and beyond we are even allowed to see right now.

I edidn't thin k you were.
  • Options
    Of course, the supreme hypocrisy of it all is that the US and Israel have gone to extraordinary lenghts to block efforts by Iran to buy *defensive* surface-to-air missiles from Russia.

Who do Iran need to defend themselves from, as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Who do Iran need to defend themselves from, as a matter of interest?
    Are you kidding? You have any idea how many times has the US had to pull Israel back from the brink of launching air strikes on Iranian targets in the last year or two?

That Israel is itching to launch attacks against Iran is a matter of public record.
  • Options
    In any case that's quite irrelevant. All nations have the same right to self-defence. Nobody has a right to block Iran from buying defensive weapons- certainly no any nations that have a far more effective and comprehensive array of both defensive and offensive weapons themselves.
  • Options
    Are you kidding? You have any idea how many times has the US had to pull Israel back from the brink of launching air strikes on Iranian targets in the last year or two?

That Israel is itching to launch attacks against Iran is a matter of public record.

Israel's actions might be because of Iran's nuclear aspirations perhaps? Israel certainly doesn't have an aggressive expansionist policy and doesn't wish to wipe any other country 'off the map'.
  • Options
    Given that Israel is the proud owner of up to 200 quite illegal and clandestine nuclear weapons itself, it has little grounds for complain.

In any case it is not the right of any individual nation to take unilateral preemptive use of force.
  • Options
    Given that Israel is the proud owner of up to 200 quite illegal and clandestine nuclear weapons itself, it has little grounds for complain.

As much as one might detest Israel's policies with regards to Palestine, Israel can't be compared to Iran. Apart from Israel, Iran have no enemies in that region from whom they need to protect themselves. Israel wouldn't have anything to respond to if Iran was not so keen on all this sabre rattling.
    In any case it is not the right of any individual nation to take unilateral pre-emptive use of force.

Agreed although there is a limited right of pre-emptive self-defence under customary law. However, few observers really think that a state must wait for an armed attack to actually begin before taking action. In the case of Iran, we are not dealing with a limited conventional attack but the possibility of nuclear strike. No threatened country is going to sit by and wait for the other to lob the first rocket under those circumstances.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=Teagan;2291990 Apart from Israel, Iran have no enemies in that region from whom they need to protect themselves. .[/QUOTE]

Comedy post of the week. that.
    The biggest military machine in history has just completely surrounded them with a huge array of land air and sea power.
    That military machine is shedding blood as we speak and pouring more and more weaponry into the region and saying ...your next.
    What would you do ...want ...in that situation?
  • Options
    In any case it is not the right of any individual nation to take unilateral preemptive use of force.

In this instance, that isn't happening anyway. So the point is what?

Look at the bad guys trying to protect themselves from something which "might" happen in the future. We should be outraged? Actually no, I don;t think that we should.

We should be outraged if they use it as cover to do something offensively. Their citizens should be outraged if we find out that they could have protected themselves but didn't.

I'm not going to get all hot under the collar at this story because it really isn't much of a story at all.

You might as well complain that they have any armed forces.
  • Options
    Comedy post of the week. that.
    The biggest military machine in history has just completely surrounded them with a huge array of land air and sea power.
    That military machine is shedding blood as we speak and pouring more and more weaponry into the region and saying ...your next.
    What would you do ...want ...in that situation?

Let me write this BIG and SLOWLY again so that you understand what I wrote. Perhaps you might find it less funny. ;)

"Iran have no enemies in that region from whom they need to protect themselves."

The USA is NOT from that region.

And what would Iran's point be in arming themselves with nukes against the USA when they know there is no hope in hell of getting a nuke onto the US mainland? Iran are just pressing buttons to be belligerent and confrontational. Their actions are encouraging the USA to get involved.

Now, the rights and wrongs of US involvement certainly is a matter of debate but don't kid yourself that Iran is squeaky clean in all of this.
  • Options
    Iran does have an 'enemy' (or rather, just a neighbouring country) from which it needs to protect itself: Israel.

Plans for airstrikes on various Iranian sites have all but been made public ffs.

If I had to guess where the next instance of a country launching an attack against another will be, my money would be on Israel doing Iran.
  • Options
    Iran does have an 'enemy' (or rather, just a neighbouring country) from which it needs to protect itself: Israel.

Oh yet another person not reading my original post properly! :)
    Apart from Israel, Iran have no enemies in that region from whom they need to protect themselves. Israel wouldn't have anything to respond to if Iran was not so keen on all this sabre rattling.
  • Options
    Oh yet another person not reading my original post properly! :)
    Sorry :D . I just went by the big quote in bold in your previous post, instead of reading the original one.
  • Options
    These are war preperations.
    Can you tell me any other reason for this massive build up?