Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who have successfully managed to play a blu-ray film on a computer?

Tell us your stories please!

Okay, I had the hardware - a brand spanking new media PC with blu-ray drive running Windows 7. W7 includes the DVD codec but not blu-ray. You need to shell out extra for such playback software like PowerDVD. I went for WinDVD because that was the only one my local PC World had on their shelves. I installed it, and when I tried a blu-ray film, the damn WinDVD error-ed out with a message about copyright protection. WinDVD even errored out with DVD discs yet my WMP / Media Player Classic continued to play DVDs fine. Note that my Windows 7, the WinDVD and the blu-ray film (Tinkerbell) are all legal. WinDVD is now just an expensive cardboard box! After some googling of the error message, it transpired that my monitor is the bottleneck, as it's not HD. Apparently, if I bought a monitor that is 1920x1080, then WinDVD will "like" that. I thought "sod it", let's keep googling. Before I committed any further money, I found another video playback program called Anydvd. It is commercial but has a 21-day trial. Lo and behold, this bugger successfully got blu-ray working in Media Player Classic. Although my monitor is 4:3 1600x1200, the video plays fine. In fact, if I take a screenshot of the film, Media Player Classic captures at 1920x1080, so it is probably capturing straight from the hardware rather than the software. It means that I get wallpaper-quality stills!

Am I the first person on TheSite.org to capture a blu-ray still?! This is my favourite character from Tinkerbell. She's soh cute :-D I have cropped the image, but if you right click it and go to properties, you will see that she is still the original 1020 in height.

Silvermist.png
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The problem isn't the monitor resolution, I think, but the type of cable. The people who want to retain control over the media you buy put copy protection between the monitor and computer.

Want you want to do, is get someone to rip your blue-ray, then you'll be able to watch the thing you paid for....
  • Options
    how annoying
  • Options
    Yeah you'd need a HDCP capable monitor to view the discs at 1080p

Or just get a PS3 and play them on your HDTV. Oh yeah.

You can rip them, but you need a lot of space and a lot of time. It's not really worth the effort.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    The problem isn't the monitor resolution, I think, but the type of cable. The people who want to retain control over the media you buy put copy protection between the monitor and computer.

Want you want to do, is get someone to rip your blue-ray, then you'll be able to watch the thing you paid for....

Can you add a bit more to that please ...I don't understand about the protection between the comp and the monitor?
    He's got the right up to date machine and .....
  • Options
    In ref to the stills I have a few 1080p stills I have captured when watching downloaded movies so I would not say you are the first...
  • Options
    Ask mist... It's the reason I've not bothered paying any attention to Blu-Ray
  • Options
    Isn't that an awfully young face to have on so grown up a body?
  • Options
    I hope you reallise that some of us have money invested in cloud computing.
    All this buying discs is so yesterday by tomorrow ...I hope.
    Theres a massive windowless building in Texas and ...my money ...my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You won't need a frigin pc by the end of the year ...it will all be available on a telly for gods sake ...