Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Deep cuts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Erm, so I cut myself and it is quite deep. It bled for about 4 hours and then stopped, but keeps randomly bleeding. It did stop completly for a few hours, but now it's just bleeding a little bit. It keeps stopping and starting.
Is this normal? Because I've never cut quite this deep before :confused: I did have a thing on it, like one of those shiny things you stick with the medical tape erm can't remember what they are called. Anyway yea, I normally just run it under water but I tried that and it got worse. Should I put a plaster on it or just leave it?
Thank you
Xx

Comments

• Options
    A and E to be safe
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    A and E to be safe

I don't want my mum finding out again, she'll get really angry but I might go tomorrow if it stays like this. Can they do stitches or whatever after 12 hours or would they do something else?
    Xx
  • Options
    I have absolutely no idea what to do with deep cuts, i'm sorry, but i do now you have to something to stop infection. Can you bandage it somehow?
  • Options
    I only have a tube grip and it is on my leg cos I've pulled a muscle haha! Ermm I'm gonna put a plaster on it I think, that'll stop it getting dirty at least.
    Xx
  • Options
    Have you not got a first aid kit in your house? A plaster won't do much if it was bleeding for that long :/.

For future reference - if you're going to run it under water, use cold water because hot/warm water stops the blood from clotting. If you don't want to go to a&e and it's stopped bleeding by tomorrow, go and get some gauze/medical tape to cover it up with and some Savlon/antiseptic cream to keep it clean.
  • Options
    No I don't think we have a first aid kit. I found some more gauze though, that's the shiny stuff I couldn't think of earlier adn have got that on it. Are you supposed to put pressure on it to stop it bleeding??
    Thank you guys.
    Xx
  • Options
    Yup put that on the cut and then something to wrap over the top tightly to keep it in place (not so tight it stops circulation though).

Antiseptic cream is a good idea as well
  • Options
    Thank you Lexi and Franki :-) If it's still like this tomorrow I'll show the school nurse lady.
    Xx
  • Options
    If it's still like this tomorrow I'll show the school nurse lady.
    Xx

:yes: Good idea.

Don't forget we're here if you want to post about what's going on for you at the moment.

Take care - :)