Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cats and curiosity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
curiosity killed the cat.
Why did curiosity kill the cat?!
Is there a story behind this?
And why was it a cat that died, why not a badger or something?

Comments

• Options
    :D tis strange to see what people are thinking, what has made you think of this? :D
  • Options
    Curiosity killed the badger....hmmm....interesting :p
  • Options
    Curiosity may have killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back! ;)

I think the saying stems from the fact that cats are particularly curious creatures.
  • Options
    I dont know why I thought of this, but I've always wanted to know where it comes from.
    And I dont think cats a particularly curious, from my experience all they do is eat and sleep.
    Now badgers on the other hand are very curious creatures.
    So I demand that the saying is changed untill a satisfactory answer is given to me why Cats are more curious than badgers!
  • Options
    Jinx, I gotta disagree, cats would seem to be far more curious than badgers, given the nocturnal and highly shy nature of the average badger.

There is also another saying;- "You can catch any cat in any trap once, but you'll never catch the same cat in the same trap twice"

Meh, cat's are good, but there's nothing better than a damn great dog that inspires terror in your fellow man.....
  • Options
    Yeah.....

Yeah but what came first, the chicken or the egg?

:D
  • Options
    my cat isn't curious. as someone said before, all it does is eat and sleep, lazy thing! i agree that they are curious at times but not enough to make a saying out of it.
  • Options
    The phrase "curiosity killed the cat" comes from an experiment by Edwin(?) Shroedinger, often called Shroedinger's Cat, which demonstrated some of the apparent absurdities of modern theoretical physics.

Basically, a single atom of a radioactive element with a known half-life (say, for the sake of argument, 3 hours) is placed in a box. Next to it a radiation detector is placed, which will detect if the atom decays. The detector is connected to a vial of poisonous gas; if the detector is triggered, the phial will shatter. A cat is then placed in the box, and the box is sealed so you cannot see inside.

After 3 hours, there is a 50% chance that the atom will have decayed, releasing the gas and killing the cat. However, we do not know if this has happened or not, because radioactive decay is random. The only way to determine whether it has happened is to observe the system - ie open the box. If we open the box and the cat is dead, we will know that it is dead. However, up until that point we do not know whether it is dead or not, so arguably it exists in two states, both dead and alive simultaneously. It is our curiosity, in opening the box, that confirms the cat's death and effectively "kills the cat".

This corresponds to the idea in physics that certain particles exist in two forms until they are observed, which is when they make up their mind and become one or the other.

Another more practical (and certainly less cruel to cats) example of this is seen when a beam of electrons is fired towards two thin slits, placed extremely close together. The beam diffracts through the slits, and forms a diffraction pattern on a screen behind. If a single electron is fired, it forms a diffraction pattern as if it had passed through both slits simultaneously. If, however, you observe the electron as it passes through, this pattern is not seen; the pattern seen is as if the electron had passed through only one of the slits.
  • Options
    :eek: well done Dei :eek:

• Options
    Re: Yeah.....
    Originally posted by xxLaydee_Icexx
    Yeah but what came first, the chicken or the egg?

The egg
  • Options
    Originally posted by sexy little thing
    my cat isn't curious. as someone said before, all it does is eat and sleep, lazy thing!

They also have a tendancy to drill behind your sofa.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way

They also have a tendancy to drill behind your sofa.

Do they Mr Izzard:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by RubberSkin

Do they Mr Izzard:)

Did you flick that elastic band at me? Found your drilling equiptment the other day...
  • Options
    Oooooooooo it's a Mazda