Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bringing a laptop back to factory settings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What actually happens in this process? I've got next to no memory on my computer, i've tried everything to free up memory and the most i can free up to is 3 GB, so i've had enough and this is a kinda last restort for me haha

Will it delete all my programmes and files? Will it litterally bring my computer back to all the settings and junk as if i bought it new? (i dunno if that makes sense) haha

All help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Yup everything youve installed or added since it was new will be deleted, so if you do make sure you back up all your files and anything like word etc will be deleted as well so be aware that you'll have to get a new installation disc for them
  • Options
    If you remember what the computer was like when you first switched it on, it'll be like that. Just Windows (if it's a PC) or OSX (if it's a Mac), plus a few of your company-branded software, possible a trial antivirus and possibly a trial MS Office.
  • Options
    hmm okay then! thanks guys!

Is it a good idea do this? its just im sick of having next to nothing memory, and im not going to be getting a new laptop anytime soon!
  • Options
    hmm okay then! thanks guys!

Is it a good idea do this? its just im sick of having next to nothing memory, and im not going to be getting a new laptop anytime soon!

I dunno, I've been thinkin of doing the same with mine just because it runs slow and freezes sometimes etc etc

I guess if you have the ability to put everthing back on; back up your files, remember everything youve installed like iTunes etc so you can put them back on after theres no reason why not
  • Options
    okay dokay! i was just worried that it would do actually damage to the computer somehow! i will probally do it in the next couple of weeks!
  • Options
    We had problems with our laptop at the end of last year and in the end we resorted to doing this, we lost everything but thankfully didn't have that much on there to lose but we had to keep doing it again and again cos we kept getting problems. There were different disks for different things (I'm not very technical so sorry if this makes no sense- my hubby did it all) but now we can't use the disk drive my hubby said it isn't working right and will need reinstalling AGAIN so I would only do this as a last resort. It might be good to speak to PC World or somewhere like that to see if there is anything else you can do.
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    We had problems with our laptop at the end of last year and in the end we resorted to doing this, we lost everything but thankfully didn't have that much on there to lose but we had to keep doing it again and again cos we kept getting problems. There were different disks for different things (I'm not very technical so sorry if this makes no sense- my hubby did it all) but now we can't use the disk drive my hubby said it isn't working right and will need reinstalling AGAIN so I would only do this as a last resort. It might be good to speak to PC World or somewhere like that to see if there is anything else you can do.

i would talk to PC world, but i cant afford to buy stuff, and i've got a feeling that they are going to try and rope me into something....