Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laptop overheating and switching off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey so my laptop keeps overheating and switching off..is there any way to clean a laptop fan? it never used to overheat previously, also any tips for keeping it cool? its a decent laptop and only a year old roughly..
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    You're not using it on your lap are you?
  • Options
    Mine does that sometimes...
    If you have it on your lap, and put like a tray under it, that helps.
    Xx
  • Options
    Mine did that occasionlly too. After I disassembled the machine, it was clear that the CPU heatsink was clogged. Remember, this is a laptop, so you need to know what you're doing :-) It happens to desktops too, but there is more leway there because the components are much larger. If the OP has a warranty with the machine, I'd RMA it.
  • Options
    Aye, typically a build-up of dust on the CPU or GPU. May be easy to get at, may not be...
  • Options
    Aye, typically a build-up of dust on the CPU or GPU. May be easy to get at, may not be...

Yeah, it'll be that im sure.

With my laptop its pretty easy to get to. Just a few screws to undo and i can see it.

Good to give it a good clean out every now and then. But only do it if you know where it and you know what you're doing. You don't wanna go breaking the thing!
  • Options
    Mine used to do it so I hoovered all the ventilation holes and now it always stayes quite cool.