Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Sauna

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Oh my, there is not a whole lot of things I like more than a couple good ol' sauna rounds in the evening, especially on sunday when you need to be fresh and filled with energy for the monday.

Sauna and generally spa is rather big in Austria, how's it on the island? What are your feelings about it?

Since November a friend of mine invites for sauna evenings about every week. She has a sauna in her basement and you can go out (like outside the house) from there and she has a few of those deck chairs, everyone brings something to drink and/or eat. We always have music down there and today I was lucky enough to get hold of a massage from her (because she had an oil down there). Ahh.. I'm so relaxed right now and wanted to share :P

So is your opinion about going into a 100 degree hot room to pour water onto the oven and sweat like a monkey with a cold shower afterwards to revitalize yourself? :)

Comments

• Options
    Cracking idea, sauna is always good after a good gym session.
  • Options
    They shouldn't be smelly, as you shower before taking them.

Mind you, last time I was in the sauna in the gym near where I work, there was a toned a anything lad doing stretches for around 10 minute. Can't say I was feeling terribly relaxed....
  • Options
    The sauna is nice but I like the steam room better... except the one at the gym I go to, the lights have been broken for several months now. Good use of my membership fees. They also have a sign that says no shaving in the steam room and that freaks me out as that means somebody probably once did it... or did it many times and finally got caught once.

Back when I was freezing all the time and I'd go from the jacuzzi to the sauna to the steam room, now that was a good winters day!
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    The sauna is nice but I like the steam room better... except the one at the gym I go to, the lights have been broken for several months now. Good use of my membership fees. They also have a sign that says no shaving in the steam room and that freaks me out as that means somebody probably once did it... or did it many times and finally got caught once.

There's a guy who shaves the whole time he's in the sauna at the gym I use near home - just using sweat as the lubricant. I'm always relieved when he gets out - there's only so much your chin can take after all.
  • Options
    Oohh, that sounds rough, I can hear the scratching noise in my head.
  • Options
    i like the sauna every now and again, but wouldnt every week
  • Options
    A small room filled with smelly fat hairy men at the gym, no thanks.

I think you'll find that fat men don't usually go to the gym ... ;)
  • Options
    I'd never go to a sauna, I don't like being hot.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »

lol You actually get quite a few at my Gym, aswell as the iron pumpers.

I don't think Sauna's are quite as big over here as they are on ze continent. Some rich people may have hot tub's in their garden, but I don't know of anyone who has their own Sauna.
    I do use the Sauna quite frequently at the moment though, about 2-3 times a week. Because I always go after the Gym, along with the Steam room and Hot tub. It's become a routine. It's a fucking struggle to stay in the Sauna for longer than 10 mins though.
  • Options
    I've only used the sauna when we went on a trip to Centerparcs lol, it was lovely thou :) I like the kinda dry heat, but i can't stand steam rooms because i feel like i'm suffocating with the steam and it makes me panicky :/ (and you guys know, anything that 'compromises' my breathing is a nono lol)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »

I am fat and i got to the gym, but the way i see it thats the whole friggin point of going, if i wasnt then i wouldnt :p
  • Options
    I am fat and i got to the gym, but the way i see it thats the whole friggin point of going, if i wasnt then i wouldnt :p

Awww! *hugs* :)

But would you say fat men are the majority?
  • Options
    There's always at least one fat guy in the sauna when I'm in there...

But I'd say it's probably around a fifth.
  • Options
    I haven't used a sauna in years but this thread has made me want to use one now!
  • Options
    In my opinion the social aspect of those sauna meets adds a lot to it. We are usually 8-10 people, usually a 1:1 boy/girl ratio but there are always coming new people and some others who couldn't make it this week. You get to know many friendly people etc. On sundays there is really nothing better to do (shops have closed on sunday over here) and I'm usually bored out of my mind on sundays.

Before christmas we made some kind of "special" where everyone brought a lot of christmasy food/drinks/snacks. I made 5 litres of punch, so after the sauna we went outside to cool off and had a lovely orange punch.

Do you wear swimming pants/bikinis in the sauna if you are in the gym or the spa? On those sunday meets some are naked and some are in bathing gear (just out of habit I guess). In austria spas/gyms it's against the resident rules to wear any kind of clothing in the sauna and I guess that might put some people off but on average I think the typical austrian has less of a problem with that.
  • Options
    naked? I'm there!
  • Options
    What I don't get with the naked thing is, is it always non-sexual, or sometimes sexual, or what? After 5 litres of punch, sitting naked with people you're attracted to, it might be difficult not to be. I'm just interested to know what the etiquette is, when naked with others in a non-sexual situation (asking as a prudish Brit ;))?
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    There's always at least one fat guy in the sauna when I'm in there...

But I'd say it's probably around a fifth.

So it kinda proves my point to Jordan that he will hardly be surrounded by loads of fat, sweaty men ... ;)
  • Options
    It sounds like you're trying to back peddle as your origonal post sounded more like you thought that only body beautiful people go to and belong in a gym and that fat people are lazy and don't exercise.
  • Options
    What I don't get with the naked thing is, is it always non-sexual, or sometimes sexual, or what? After 5 litres of punch, sitting naked with people you're attracted to, it might be difficult not to be. I'm just interested to know what the etiquette is, when naked with others in a non-sexual situation (asking as a prudish Brit ;))?

I guess it is habit. When a friend took me to the spa for the first time years ago I was a bit uncomfy myself when getting naked but after many times you don't even 'notice' the difference anymore if you are wearing something or not. One time when I was sitting in the sauna with said friend we were silently talking (in some saunas even talking is forbidden, lol) and two others (a girl and a boy who were a couple) who overheard the convo joined in, because they had something to add. And so 4 completly naked people were talking about some random stuff and it didn't feel much different than sitting in a bar in shirt and trousers talking others up. (Maybe a bit, because the girl was leaning on her b/f with her legs bend at the knees and I was sitting near her feet and she was spreading the knees a bit apart to look through them to see me while talking... It was a bit of a tough trial).

Other example. Last sunday a (girl)friend of mine in the sauna asked me if I was doing excersises with weighs. And as a matter of fact I do (she just wanted some tips on different excersises, but I misunderstood it as a compliment and asked, "oh why, yes, glad you noticed." to which she responded, "no, that's not what I meant... I just wanted some hints." lol, but I digress). Anyway to show her some more sophisticated excersises like deadlifts I got up and showed her how it's done (without weight of course) and I didn't even "feel" naked halfway through the explanation before I said, "oh just one sec, let me get my towel." because naked or not, I don't want to stand that much in the central point when wearing nothing. And she wasn't 'checking' me out, because I was watching her during the explanation, so...

I think nakedness is never completely devoid of sexuality unless you are from some tribe who live completely naked 24/7 to be honest though. I am not perving, but if I see a fit chick in the spa I sometimes... kinda... 'check her out' (that has a really negative connotation), but you know, look at her and give her a rating in my head or something like that lol.

Many prefer not to be naked for whatever reason (I just find it more comfy to be), but yesterday we were talking if we (the sunday-sauna-crew lol) should one time drive together out to a spa to have a relaxing afternoon/evening together and everyone was avid to the idea, so as an old man of spa I carefully asked if they (the ones who wear bathing gear in the sauna) know that most spas have a must-naked policy, so that they won't have any bad surprise once there and they said, "yea, I know, but I don't mind that."

So yea, I would say it's a kind of habit and you get used to it. (to the original question). It's probably comparable to a massage. To a masseur a massage is probably zero arousing but if you are kneading a attractive girls back and the lowest point of the lumbar region of her spine can you say you remain completely cool?
  • Options
    double post instead to make my other post even more long:

I never experienced something like people shaving in the sauna and I think this is totally out of place. I mean it's not comfortable there and there is really no good reason to have that done in there (rather something you should do on your own). Maybe they have a bit of a "hey look at me"-attitude and I don't like that. I think people like that should be reported to the staff and thrown out.
  • Options
    I like your attitude to nakedness.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    It sounds like you're trying to back peddle as your origonal post sounded more like you thought that only body beautiful people go to and belong in a gym and that fat people are lazy and don't exercise.

I think you're blowing this out of proportion. I said fat men 'usually' don't go down to the gym and Big Gay suggested just one fifth of the men there are fat. That's a minority. I would have thought that if you had taken offence to anything anyone had said, it would be Jordan's suggestion that only fat, sweaty men are found there.
  • Options
    There are lots of fat people at my gym, guess that probably going to be the case with 2/3 of the country is fat... I give them huge props for being there!

One time a fat old guy came into the pool area naked. He quickly realized he was naked and turned back to go to the locker room but I couldn't unsee it... nor could the participatns of the water aerobics class that are meer feet away from the locker room door :lol:
  • Options
    Admit it Teagan, you were thinking with the smaller head :p We love it when we catch you doing that, 'cos you're so sensible most of the time.

The gym near home has no dress code, but the saunas are segregated, the sauna near work is swimwear required -that might be because of the steam room though.

The shaving man, I think is a distraction from the heat, not exhibitionism - and you do get a damn good shave in a sauna - you just don't keep scraping....
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Admit it Teagan, you were thinking with the smaller head :p

:lol: Okay, I admit that I didn't put my thoughts across very well and it was open to misinterpretation. Of course I know fat people use the gym but I still don't think Jordan's fears are well founded.

And by the way, do you get really FAT people in a gym? Sure, there are lots of overweight people but I do draw a distinction between the two. So many people say "Oh, I'm so fat" when in fact, all they are carrying is a bit of extra weight. Some people are too hard on themselves.

Anyway, I stand chastised.
  • Options
    I do it to everyone, even myself. I think if we are careful to question ideas that seem like normalised and natural ways of thinking abd talking, we can uncover almost 'hidden' prejudices that we probably don't even want to be having ourselves. So, er, don't take it personally, I'm sure I say 'un-pc' things too. I just think it's important to correct them, especially if the 'hidden' sentiment is not what the person means at all.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I do it to everyone, even myself. I think if we are careful to question ideas that seem like normalised and natural ways of thinking abd talking, we can uncover almost 'hidden' prejudices that we probably don't even want to be having ourselves. So, er, don't take it personally, I'm sure I say 'un-pc' things too. I just think it's important to correct them, especially if the 'hidden' sentiment is not what the person means at all.

*hugs* :)
  • Options
    group *hug*
  • Options
    Is this a naked, sweaty, in subdued lighting group *hug*?