Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Millionaires in UK

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
What happens to these people? Surely there are a lot of them around now, with Camelot's lottery running since Sept 1994. There is usually 1 jackpot winner on every draw, with 2 draws per week. That makes 100 millionaires a year and therefore makes 1500 of 'em over Camelot's 15-year history. There were the football pools before Camelot's existence, but it was Camelot that really churned 'em out. Perhaps they all move to Cheshire, as that is said to be the county that's most populated by millionaires. Or perhaps they move abroad, somewhere sunnier, so that they no longer appear on UK records?

Don't worry, I haven't won the lotto jackpot :-D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How far does a million really go though anyways? How much would be taken out for taxes or what not over there? How many lottery players aren't that smart with money anyways :p so they probably have debt, how much is even left for goodies... or how many toys do they buy and then end up worse than what they started as?

They have a show here called the lottery ruined my life, show people who won huge bucks in the lotto, hundreds of millions, and they are much worse than they started. Big house comes with even bigger taxes which they don't plan for, soon all the money is dried up and they are left with the bill. Not to mention weirdo family members and "Friends" coming out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    Lottery money is tax free so there's no worries there.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Lottery money is tax free so there's no worries there.

Wow, thats nice. I think here it is 25% tax to the feds, 3% for the particular state I'm in right away and then, in addition, you have to claim in on your income tax which could be as high as almost 40% so in total you only get about half, if that of what you won.
  • Options
    A million invested sensibly should provide, roughly speaking, an inflation proof average wage
  • Options
    A 3 year-old owes me 3 billion pounds + 50p for throwing her up in the air numerous times. Am I an eligible member of this club? ;)
  • Options
    Btw, I've just seen the BBC news article now (about €uromillions), but I posted this thread not knowing of the article.