Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ius

Hey

I've just had my implant removed because it had stopped working and was giving me rather painful cysts on my ovaries.

I'm thinking of getting the IUS fitted as I'm rubbish at remembering to take the pill and getting sticky black marks from the patch does not appeal.

What i'm wondering is if anyone would like to share their experiences of the IUS as i've not really heard much about it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could just use more conventional forms of contraception
  • Options
    Granted it has only been around for about a decade but that doesn't make it unconventional :rolleyes:

Continuing to use wood, dough and animal poo as a barrier would be unconventional.

I don't have much help for the actual question. I've been contemplating Mirena for quite some time as well. I've read so many reviews and stories and they are from all sides. There are tons of horror stories of immense weight gain, terrible emotions, pain, having to have it reinserted every couple of months by tons and tons of women... yet on the other hand there are just as many stories of women who have had none of the side effects that others have had. So from all the things I've read, all I got out of it is to talk with your doctor :lol: At least if it isn't working out, it can easily be removed.

They say that about 10% of women on Mirena develop ovarian cysts... that seems to be a higher number when compared to the pill or depo
  • Options
    I had a Merina coil put in in february last year and had nothing but problems with it. Taken to a&e and stayed in overnight the day I got it put in, they refused to remove it as it would be a 'waste of NHS money' and was left to suffer for a week before going back to another a&e and getting it taken out. I've heard a lot of good things about them, but mine was a humiliating and extremley painful process. It has now led to me being under the care of a gynaecologist, as altho the coil itself didnt cause any serious complications (rupturing etc) it led into me developing many more problems.
    I have honestly never been in so much pain as I was for the week it was in and the 6 weeks after of constant bleeding.
    You dont say how old you are or if you have kids already, but apparantly its not recommnded until after youve had children (nobody told me this before hand, i was only 18!!)
    what about the injection or something? Im still on the pill now and i know its such a constant pain, but i could never ever recommend anyone getting any kind of IUD/IUS fitted, it really isnt worth it!
    but sayign that, i have heard many stories of women loving it, so i guess its just how each person reacts to it.
  • Options
    Faustus wrote: »
    You could just use more conventional forms of contraception

What do you count as more conventional? People have been putting pebbles/etc in wombs since written history. It is tried and tested.

I think that you must have some other agenda in answering this thread in the way that you did, please elaborate or bore off.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :wave: Zella!

This thread from a way back has some great tips from go_away.

Hope it helps and good luck. :)
  • Options
    its a really convenient form of contraception. I have an IUD and I wouldnt use anything else
  • Options
    I had the Essure procedure done. At 45 I decided Children were not in my future. Essure is a permanent method of BC.
  • Options
    lulu_lupo wrote: »
    You dont say how old you are or if you have kids already, but apparantly its not recommnded until after youve had children (nobody told me this before hand, i was only 18!!)
    what about the injection or something? Im still on the pill now and i know its such a constant pain, but i could never ever recommend anyone getting any kind of IUD/IUS fitted, it really isnt worth it!

I'm 23, and so far I've managed to escape having children, I do want them in future so I'm not looking for a permanent form of BC.

I've has the injection before and although I didnt react badly to it I'm concerned that it takes up to 18 months for fertility to return to normal. Also the clinics in my area are horrendous and I cannot do with waiting 3 hours in those awful places every three months for the rest of my adult life.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to convince my GP surgery to start administer the injection, either that or give me a better option.

Starting to think the IUS isnt such a great idea...
  • Options
    Zella wrote: »
    Starting to think the IUS isnt such a great idea...

Thing to remember is that if you have a bad experience with something you'll tell loads of people. If you have a good experience, you might not tell anyone. So don't always be put off by what you read on the internet.

I know a few people with the IUS, most who haven't had kids yet, and none have had any major problems with it. I'm definitely going to consider getting one post-baby!
  • Options
    Id recommend the IUS over the injection anyday, especially if you plan on having children in the future.
    I had my first IUS before id had children, and there wasnt a problem.
  • Options
    I have an IUD rather than an IUS and although it has made my periods heavier and more painful, I love not having to think about it! I'm in a long-term relationship and am scatty as hell when it comes to pills etc., so it's perfect for me. Getting it fitted was hell; apparently my cervix faces in the wrong direction and/or is very small or soemthing, so that day was not the most wonderful experience of my life (wound up with five people in the room looking up my insides while I bellowed OUCH at anyone who would listen) but I would consider it worth it in the long run.
  • Options
    Why did you choose an IUD over an IUS Butterfly? I have an IUS and am happy with it (and the lack of period!) but I have been told that the hormones are likely to be exacerbating other physical problems I have.
  • Options
    i have an IUD too rather than an IUS, although i have had an IUS before.
    The reason i chose the IUD was because I didnt want any artificial hormones.
    I dont get heavy or painful periods from it or anything. It works well for me.
  • Options
    I have a mirena, have had it from about 10weeks post birth. The first few weeks i had spotting all over the place but once it settled down its been the best choice i've made. I get a couple of days of barely there spotting every month or so (a pantyliner isnt even necessary), no cramps, no pms and i love it :heart:
  • Options
    I have one. Horrible pains for the first 5 months, really horrible- I could have ripped it out myself. Monthh 6 -magic, no pain, wouldn't know it's there. If what I have now is the experience that most people have with it then, it's really good.
  • Options
    Mine si without hormones by the way.
  • Options
    I chose the IUD because I prefer not to use hormonal contraceptives. I was tempted by the idea of very light or no periods at all, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with changing my natural hormone levels. The IUD also lasts longer than the IUS - and given the problems that the doctor had when inserting mine, the longer I can go without having to have one reinserted the better!
  • Options
    I had a non hormonal coil fitted 2 and a half years ago and it will need replacing in about 6 months time.

I had a nightmare getting the thing fitted, my GP refused me hormonal contraceptives because of a medical condition and also refused to allow me to have a coil fitted because i was nearing 30 and I had not had a child.

Eventually the family planning clinic fitted me a coil on a Friday afternoon, it hurt quite a bit and the pain didnt really go away, when I checked the strings on the Sunday night it was actually falling out so I went back on Monday, had it removed and a replacement fitted.

I had a day of mild to moderate pain, so I didnt do too much around the house or at work but after that its been fine, it has made my periods a little bit heavier but its worth it.

They asked me to make an appointment towards the beginning or end of my period for it fitting which apparently helps a bit and also they checked me for any infections prior to having it fitted as they dont want any infectections to be moved into your cervix.

I would recommend it over a hormonal contraceptive any day. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    When I went to the GP she said she didnt want to give me the IUS because its the same hormone has the implant I had been having trouble with. She's put me on a pill called Yasmin, which is meant to be good for women who get cysts on their ovaries.

Not over joyed about being back on the pill but its a routine i'll get used to, and if it stops me getting painful cysts then that's all that matters.

Thanks everyone for sharing all your experiences :-)