Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Random one for all the car drivers out there...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I'm having a bit of weather-related difficulty with my car. Namely that my windscreen wash occasionally freezes up whilst I'm driving in the evening. I'm told that night time temperatures here are currently averaging around -10°C, so it's not exactly warm. I'm also having to contend with freezing fog on some nights, so not always being able to clean the front window is not exactly helpful, to put it mildly.

My question, quite simply. What's a good windscreen wash that's reliable during this cold spell?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know someone who mixed a brand of anti freeze for super low temps, with pure ethanol. Seemed to be quite effective, but how cost effective it is, is something I dont know about.
  • Options
    Just start the car 10 minutes before you want to go out. The heat from the engine will defrost the screen wash. :thumb:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

My question, quite simply. What's a good windscreen wash that's reliable during this cold spell?

Anyone with a lot of antifreeze in it.

The winter concentrated stuff on half the dilution it suggests is a good starting point.
  • Options
    you'll find most screen wash fluids have different dilutions for different temperatures - typically use undiluted for driving to -15 Celsius
  • Options
    I used undiluted stuff to de-ice my parents drive way that my mother almost kept slipping over on.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Just start the car 10 minutes before you want to go out. The heat from the engine will defrost the screen wash. :thumb:

Not if its pure water. Perhaps if you had some sort of additive but in my experience, it's taken ages to thaw in this weather.
  • Options
    Yeah typically the pre-mixed stuff is not great, only good for minus a few degrees. For more than that you need to be getting the concentrate stuff and either using it neat or mixing maybe half and half. The bottle should tell you.

Sometimes best to use up what's already there before adding new.
  • Options
    Ultimately, the temperatures we've been having mean what ever you put in won't work anyway. I've been using 70% wash fluid to 30% water and it's still freezing solid. It's only designed to work down to about minus 5 anyway.
  • Options
    It is much colder here for much longer and I've never had frozen wiper fluid and my car sits outside. Though I usually start my car 5-10 minutes before driving as well. Never heard of putting water in it. Maybe I should try. I go thru about a bottle a month, I'm addicted to it.

Though I know there is stuff 'round there that is green thats more for winter... or is it orange :chin:
  • Options
    Mine is green. It would be expensive if I didn't water it down though.
  • Options
    How much does a thing of washer fluid cost there?

I'm e-stalking you today.
  • Options
    I don't know actually, my Dad buys mine...
  • Options
    Oh nice :D (The man usually buys it for me as well... though he stocks up on everything like he owns a warehouse :p)
  • Options
    Wow, that is expensive! The stuff here... unless you get the fancy helps-remove-bug-guts... is like $2 a gallon... about 1.2 pounds for a bit less than 4 liters? I think the bug stuff is about a buck more.
  • Options
    Is yours already diluted though? Mine is concentrate...
  • Options
    Well I've never added water... so I guess so... just pour the bottle into the place where it goes. It says protects up to -20F, use full strength, pour directly into... I forget the rest.
  • Options
    Fit heated washer jets from a more expensive model. They're typically the first bit to freeze... :)