Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Loving two people at once?

Just had a very close friend of mine, ring me up and have one of those hour long phone calls, the kind where you ring up someone just to talk, to let things out before they eat away at you.

They just confessed that they genuinely love two people, and dont know how to deal with it or what to do. Im not one of the people, but I have had a pretty deatailed sob story in the past recent times.

Any of you people experienced or had trouble with something like this, what the hell do I say back to them? :confused:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
  • Options
    poly.org
  • Options
    I don't believe it is possible to have exactly the same loving feelings towards two people. Personally, I believe that many mistake "affection" for true love, i.e. the love that comes from being close to someone - rather than the more passionate and volatile love that comes from being attracted to someone. Alternatively, you can feel affectionate towards someone while feeling physically attracted to someone else - both involve "love", but neither are, by themselves, enough to sustain a long-term relationship. Ideally, one finds someone towards whom one feels both affection and physical attraction.
  • Options
    I think you can love more than one person at a time, maybe with different loves but equally valid. If not, how would parents of multiple children love, by dividing a single love between them or loving them all?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I think you can love more than one person at a time, maybe with different loves but equally valid. If not, how would parents of multiple children love, by dividing a single love between them or loving them all?

This isn't quite the same thing. The love a parent has for each of his or her children is an equal love (ideally), but it is not the same thing as the passion one feels when attracted to a "lover". I contend that to sustain a relationship with a partner, one needs both the sexual, passionate, attraction and a deeper affection for that person. But, occasionally, one can come across a genuine situation whereby someone is attracted to one person sexually and loves another in an affectionate way.
  • Options
    Well, I know that you can love more than one person at a time.
  • Options
    While I've not personally loved more than one person, there are people who who I respect and trust that say they do