Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who has skydived?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I'm thinking it might be worth a try, yet I cant rationalise jumping out a plane.

Any way, to those who have done it what does it feel like? Is it worth it? I like challenges like this and I've done quite a few risky and adventurous things before mabye even more so (climbing to the top of the mast of a very high tall ship with no safty equipment in the middle of the north sea) but it just seems more risky to skydive, mabye it's just a percived danger? I'm just paranoid about parachute failure or landing infront of a speeding lorry etc.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Id love too. Done a bit of paramotoring but it's not really the same, the idea of jumping out of a plane as I am is quite exciting
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've done it and it was amazing :)

I did a 15,000 ft jump over Lake Taupo in New Zealand. It's difficult to describe the feeling - I remember kind of falling forward out of the plane, a feeling of unreality as my brain struggled to compute what had just happened, and being absolutely freezing! The jump involved 60 seconds free-fall (i.e. no parachute) and that was the biggest rush ever, I can't totally recall the feeling but I know it was euphoric, surreal and incredible. The weird thing is I don't remember ever feeling scared - I had my instructor strapped to my back and although I knew stuff could still go wrong, he made me feel secure and I just enjoyed the whole thing. When the parachute was opened then everything slowed down and we were just able to coast in, talking (well shouting) about how I was feeling and enjoying the amazing view. Landing was a bit hairy as you have to have your legs up in a certain way and I was convinced I'd break one but it was absolutely fine.

I would say if you're curious about it, go for it. I wasn't keen on the idea at first but my boyfriend at the time was adamant he was going to do it while we were travelling so I knew I couldn't let him do it and not do it myself. I am so glad I did - I can honestly say it's the most fantastic experience I've ever had :thumb: