Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age Gaps 10+ Years

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anybody in a relationship where the age difference between the two people is 10+ years? If so, has it ever been an issue?

And if not, what do you all think of age gaps of that size, can they work? When you get to 50 that person could be 65, for example, would that be a problem to you or not?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it is a problem. My friend's parents have 15 age difference. I think if you really like the person, you don't have to worry about it unless you value your image (society's acceptance of you) more than you value the relationship with this person.
  • Options
    Someone else asked a very similar question recently. As I said to them, age differences matter far less as you get older. See my response: http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=139299
  • Options
    Someone else asked a very similar question recently. As I said to them, age differences matter far less as you get older. See my response: http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=139299

Thanks, I didn't see that thread at the time. I know there have been plenty on the issue though.

How do you feel though when you are 55 though and they are say 70? That's where general fitness etc become apparent. If you love the person though, it is irrelevant, but it was just a thought.
  • Options
    I think it only becomes a problem if you both want different things.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I think it only becomes a problem if you both want different things.

You said in another thread that your friend who is 12 years older than you was too old for you though. Surely if you feel the above then he isn't? :confused:
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    You said in another thread that your friend who is 12 years older than you was too old for you though. Surely if you feel the above then he isn't? :confused:

From what he's said, it sonds like he wants different things to what I want. I am also not interested him. (I don't even want a relationship right now) And it would be wrong imo, to go out with someone who is only 11 years younger than my mum.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    From what he's said, it sonds like he wants different things to what I want. I am also not interested him. (I don't even want a relationship right now) And it would be wrong imo, to go out with someone who is only 11 years younger than my mum.

That's fair enough :)
  • Options
    My step-mum is 28 or 27, and my dad is 41. My mum is 33. My great-grandad (who died last year) was 102ish and my Great-gran (still living) is 80 something.
    I don't like my step-mum being so young... but only because she isn't really old enough to be my mum, and that makes me freaked out. But I guess it's okay.
    Xx
  • Options
    My original parents split up. Their new-married partners are 12 years different for one pair and 10 years different for the other pair and they've all been together for 23 years now. I say as long as they're all of legal age (16+) then you're good :-)