Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Reading too much into friends' messages?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not sure if I am and a hallmate thinks I'm not and thinks I have every right to be a little bit worried:

I started uni in September and got on really well with someone. At the end of October, he stopped attending uni and I sent him a text to ask if he was ok. He explained that he was having some health problems and needs to withdraw. (he's missed around 6 weeks of uni at least)

In one of his messages, he asked if we could meet up and said he's around until December 21st. I told him the 12th would be ok and that I'm only around until the 18th.

In one of his messages, he said "maybe get dressed up and go to central [London] for a night out?" I didn't know how to respond, so left it. A week later, I sent him a text saying "sorry, can't make it". He said it was fine and asked what was up and I said that I wasn't feeling too well. (this was a few days after I'd met up with a friend who gave me his cold; which made me feel like rubbish for a few days)

I have just received a text message from him. He asked if it was possible to meet up. I am unusre about this because I am having health problems at the moment and generally feel crap. I also have work I need to do.

In most of his text messages, he calls me sweetie or cutie - omething I would never call a friend. Am I reading far too much nto this, or does it sound like he wants more? I don't want more and I personally think he's too old for me. I'm 20 and he's 33.

Comments

• Options
    He wants a piece.

Either go along with it if you want the same or tell him straight out you arent interested. :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    He wants a piece.

Either go along with it if you want the same or tell him straight out you arent interested. :thumb:

couldn't have put it better.
  • Options
    Thanks. Any advice on what to say please? Or do I sju say "thanks; but not interested"?
  • Options
    what you say depends on if you still want to be mates with him, or if you don't want to see him again?
  • Options
    Agreeing with what has been said so far. Just to say what I find funny (not to say worrying). In your first sentence you asked the question if you were reading to much into this or have every right to be worried.

So is it so worrysome, that someone fancies you?
  • Options
    He wants a piece.

yep!

Dating is nothing to be scared of, just make your feelings clear that you're not looking for anything :).

I think something polite and kind like "Hey, not feeling up to it at the minute really - a bit under the weather. Would this be like a date going out? Because I'm not really looking for anything at the minute."
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Agreeing with what has been said so far. Just to say what I find funny (not to say worrying). In your first sentence you asked the question if you were reading to much into this or have every right to be worried.

So is it so worrysome, that someone fancies you?

It's more of getting into a relationship - I am not ready for anything like that.

Thanks Shyboy - that sounds like a good idea.

I'm not sure at all what I want.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    It's more of getting into a relationship - I am not ready for anything like that.

I'm not sure at all what I want.

Become fuck buddies and see what happens. :thumb:
  • Options
    Become fuck buddies and see what happens. :thumb:

:lol:
  • Options
    He wants a piece.

Im single so I guess I can get away with it, but im like that (the way the OP describes this bloke) with a couple of girls, who both know each other. Nothing romantic involved at all, just good mates.

Now the kink in the story is that these two ladies I know are both ex housemates of mine, and love them to bits (In my student days it was me and 3x ladies in the house), and its different from a random friend.

Just shows it is possible though.
  • Options
    Wrote the message Shyboy said and he said "are you sure that message was for me?"