Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I was self-harming, should I tell my mum?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, I've joined up to this site basically to get some advice and what not, anonymously, since I tend to bottle things up (I didn't used to, but now it's just what I do since I don't want to bring other people down with me.) All I'll say is that I'm a girl and reveal nothing more for the moment, if that's cool.
Happy New Year everyone, btw. ;-)

Well, at the beginning of 2009 til about mid-year I was going through a real tough time. I didn't know how to deal with frustration, anger, and how hopelessly depressed I felt so I started cutting. I don't anymore, however. But as I was saying, the habit got out of control and it was quick, if temporary, relief from depression and other feelings. It went on for a few months and I sought help from a friend overseas by messaging back and forth; it helped get me through it.
Its now the beginning of 2010, and I've been wondering a few things; should I tell my mum about the cutting? If I did, how would she react?
I tell her pretty much everything and basically there's no secrets, but she does sometimes have a tendency to freak out a bit too much and I'm afraid that if I told her what I was doing she'd never look at me the same way again, like I'm "mentally unstable," "psychotic" or something. She loves me, of course, but I don't want her to think the wrong thing. She thinks I'm over everything, because I've been suicidal in the past... I just don't know if its even necessary to tell her, I'm fine now... I think, I still get depressed but I hide it, and I don't cut anymore.
Please give me your opinions, and tell me what you think. 'Cause I just don't know. :/
edit: I left out the fact that my mum is pretty depressed right now and maybe holding off telling her this might be best. :/

Comments

• Options
    Do you know how she would react if you explained the whole thing properly? Why is it you want to tell her? Because if your not going to get anything positive out of it then there is no point, don't tell her for her, it has to be for you. Her depression if for her to deal with so if you think it would be good for you to say then do so regardless.

It's great your not self harming anymore. And you don't need to worry about people not knowing you, that's the point of the site :)

Everyone is different and we don't know your mum so we can't tell you how she'll react but chances are, if she's got her own stuff and you've talk about mental health stuff with her before, she'd be understanding. Also even if she was freaked out that doesn't mean that she wouldn't still be caring about it. You could try and educate her with info about self harm, there's a lot on this website for example.

xx
  • Options
    Heyy ImmortalMoonlight:wave:

First of all, it's great that you're opening up, even if it's anonymously, I know how hard it is to do, but in my experience it's always better than suffering alone:)

It's completely up to you whether you tell your mum or not about your self harming, don't feel you have to because you get on really well with her or whatever. It's worth telling someone, in case you do start again or something, but parents have are often too emotionally involved when it comes to their children and just get really worried (doesn't feel like it when they shout at you about it, but i guess they are!) If you want your mum to know but you don't know how to tell her, maybe ask someone else to - a friend/teacher - or you could try writing it down.

Always here if you wanna talk
    Happy 2010:)
    xxx