Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crazy weather

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
Snow, freezing fog and then rain this morning resulted in 2mm layer of ice over EVERYTHING this morning.

Drove to London on Tues and the all along the M3 hard shoulder cars like it was some massive car park.

Now we have a lightning storm raging and hail the size of peas.

It's the Day After Tomorrow
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The ice was horrendous for the last few days, I'm glad it's cleared finally since no one in Haringey council seemed to realise you need to salt pavements as well as roads... spent two days having to walk down the middle of the road.
  • Options
    The snow has cleared in Plymouth; but we still have ice on the roads. My dad skidded coming home this morning.
  • Options
    managed to hit 2 curbs drifting in the snow in the bm on sunday and got stuck on a patch of ice in a cul de sac where kids had been throwing buckets of water for a good 10 mins last night, handful in this weather to say the least!

defo gettin cold out there
  • Options
    For once its not too bad up north compared to the south. Im quite glad I have managed to escape the south for the holidays.
  • Options
    i got stuck in what i can only say is a snow drift at the back of my grandmas flats today, i drove round to park and didnt realise it was untouched and still deep and when i tried to get out i couldnt! it was so embarassing and my dad had to shovel a path for me to reverse into and this old man was throwing salt everywhere to try and help me grip haha, eeek.

its not that icy here yet but it hasnt rained and theres been no storms, apart from a bit of thunder the other day, that sounds weird! its just still really snowy. i love it though :D
  • Options
    The weather has been a little mental. Roads have been a nightmare.
  • Options
    Ive stayed in most of the day :)
  • Options
    North Wales has escaped it all ...till this evening.
    I just managed to get home from Manchester in dreadful vonditions.
    I 'm excpecting to be snowed in.
    No ...I'm hoping I'm snowed in for the next few days ...would be perfect.
  • Options
    We're getting a nice coating of ice on everything as well - the trees are absolutely gorgeous, I spent forever out there with the camera.
  • Options
    meh we have about 4inches of snow and ice covering the roads. Its been worse though.
  • Options
    Luckily I don't have to drive anywhere this week - the weather's supposed to keep up for a couple days. Hopefully it's not going to dump a foot of snow on everything again, the plows piled it all up behind my place before and I could hardly get out. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Heavens, the weather channel just said something about 2ft of snow. :shocking:

Oh, north of us. Whew.
  • Options
    SteelWool wrote: »
    I spent forever out there with the camera.

You obviously experience the wow factor.
  • Options
    I'm ridiculous with the camera. I sat on the floor for ten minutes once taking pictures of my tortoise's face. Image storage accounts for most of the space used on my computer. We get ice storms every year, we get snow every year, but I go on taking pictures anyway.
    Some of them do come in handy once in a while, though. :D
  • Options
    I just managed to get home from Manchester in dreadful vonditions.

i'm not sure what part of manchester you drove home from last night but i drove home from moss side and fucking hell, it was horrible. i lost control of my car so many times :no: i don't know what the fuck manchester city council is up to because they simply aren't gritting the roads (and i'm talking about main roads here!) or pavements. i'm spending my shifts at work trying not to fall over/walking in the middle of the road and when i'm driving to and from work, i'm trying to not kill myself. i was driving home on the m62 last night and it wasn't gritted. you couldn't even see the road markings on the road. the outer and inner lane were covered in snow and was a few inches deep. it was a bit scary :(

its just horrible now. its inches deep in some parts of manchester and now, that snow has just turned to ice and more snow has fallen on it. great :rolleyes:

i only have to work today and then i have 4 days off. i'm hoping its all melted and gone by time i return because i'm sick of it :grump:
  • Options
    Enniskillen (in the west of Northern Ireland, to anyone who doesn't know) seems to be a tale of two towns, at the moment. On the one hand, you have the main roads. These have been gritted endlessly for over a week and are in excellent condition. No problems there. You then have the other category - side roads which haven't been touched by the gritters. Thanks to a mixture of snow during the day and freezing cold nights, it means several side roads are now covered in almost three inches of ice and are virtually impassable.

Travelling during the day on these roads is positively treacherous, travelling during the night is like a suicide mission. This afternoon, I went with my girlfriend to visit her grandparents. We attempted to leave at 6pm. I had to reverse back all the way down a single lane road after discovering there was simply no way my car was going to go up a hill which was covered in ice. As a result, we're unable to get back home tonight and are having to stay here for the night. I'm not too bothered about it - I like the grandparents a lot, you understand, but the fact I can't get back to our house is rather pissing me off.
  • Options
    Crazy weather

Crazy weather is where in rainy season in the evening ve a cup of hot coffee with snacks in the balcony with friends..its a crazy over the world......
  • Options
    You're telling me man. It's supposed to be summer here and today has been rain and gale force winds

"Northwest gales with severe gale gusts of 130 km/h in exposed parts
    of Wellington and southern Wairarapa should continue Sunday evening
    before easing in the early hours of Monday morning. These winds may
    be strong enough to damage trees and powerlines and make driving
    conditions difficult."