Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

getting married abroad

has anyone done this?

got married abroad without your friends and family there?

could you ever do it? if you have done it, how did you find it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its what we are planning
  • Options
    really?

do your family & friends mind that they won't be invited or are you inviting yours?
  • Options
    I considered it but my mum and sister would have been so gutted so I didn't, however I ended up getting married in this country and not inviting any of my friends and only immediate family so kind of worse in a way in terms or letting people down!

My friend is getting married in June in Mauritius and it will just be the two of them, although people are abit gutted they respect that it is their wedding and what they want to do!
  • Options
    i dont know how G's family will take it, but mine are fine about it.

I think eloping is really romantic
  • Options
    We are going to move to Australia and get married there.

In theory anyway.

Means I can get away with not inviting the family I don't like.
  • Options
    My stepson and his girlfriend of 10 years invited everyone to a mystery celebration. Although we all had our suspicions, no-one knew that we were actually being invited to their wedding reception.

They had crept off to Las Vegas a month earlier and tied the knot in the "Graceland Chapel" with "Elvis" as a witness.

My husband, Dave's dad, and I thought it was great. Unfortunately, Dave's mum was deeply hurt to have been left out of the arrangements.

On the other hand, it is traditional for the bride's parents to pay for the wedding, and Sarah's family were in no position to do so. Instead, they saved up and had a luxury wedding and honeymoon for just the two of them, with a buffet and free bar in a local pub for family and friends when they got back.
  • Options
    I reckon this would depend entirely on how your families are, and who you are able to / want to invite, etc.. Plenty of people have their weddings in exotic places, so it obviously works for them.

I think if you had a large family group some of whom you didn't really want to invite then staging the wedding abroad would be a good excuse. Though you shouldn't really have to.

Remember above everything else your wedding day is for you. The important people to please are the two of you as a couple. In fact, pretty much just the bride, because we all know it's the bride's day really. So the key question is whether you would be happy with it, not anyone else. They can stuff off and have their own wedding.
  • Options
    I didn't and wouldn't have done it, but weddings are a very personal thing, and I know a lot of people who have.

Thing is that whatever you choose to do, someone will have a problem with it, so the best thing is to decide exactly what it is you want, then just do it and sod what anyone else thinks. Whether exactly what you want is a £50,000 wedding in a castle with everyone you've ever known there, or a $50 wedding at the Church of Elvis with just the two of you, well, that's up to you. There's no right answer.