Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can someone please walk me through PS1 emulation?

eBay link of the game that I'm hoping to play.

I have just won the above item. Check my feedback, and you'll know that it's me, genuine, as opposed to an attempt of me begging for help to play illegal "romz". This is because my feedback links to other L & S auctions, and some of you TheSiter's will already know that I'm nuts about Lilo & Stitch. And this is what the thread is all about :-)

Years ago, I tried using a PSX / PS1 emulator to play Final Fantasy 9 (again legal), only because FF9 wasn't available for the PC platform. It was a losing battle in the end because no matter which PSX emulator I tried, they all insisted that I locate the so-called "OS ROM", which is apparently essential to boot the emulated hardware. I gave up. Six years pass... 2003-9, I find the L & S game and I want to attempt PSX emulation once again.

Any guidelines leading to successful emulation.... gets a brownie point :-P
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've not fiddled with it for years, but Bleem! used to work pretty well... :)

These may be of use:
    http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/
    http://www.epsxe.com/help.php
  • Options
    Stafford to Stafford :-) Thanks a lot. I'll give this a shot and I'll acknowledge / feedback again next week when the game arrives!
  • Options
    That pesky OS ROM is the illegal bit.

Beats me why they care, given they make a loss on selling the hardware, but there you go.
  • Options
    Sony doesn't make sales from their PSX anymore, so I thought sod it, I'm getting that file. It was SCPH7502.bin that I needed. My search prompted a minefield of tabs in Firefox but I got there in the end. The only other problem I had was that ePSXe 1.7 complained of various missing DLL files but ePSXe 1.6 booted liked a charm. As you can see now, the PSX is booted. Running in Windows 7 64-bit too :-) I now just need to wait until my game arrives, although I'll see in the meantime if I have a PSX demo CD that I can try. I'm pretty sure that I once bought an edition of "Playstation" magazine that had a demo CD.

PSX.png
  • Options
    I didn't know there is a PS1 emulator. Does it run at 100% speed/framerate? I have mega drive, N64, SNES etc but PS1 would be cool.
  • Options
    Wooooh - when I say 'PSX', I am referring to PS1. Sorry about that. It's what us "oldies" called the machine when it was the only one around i.e. before PS2 came out.
  • Options
    I know, I mean the first gen playstation too. I think you underestimate my age!
  • Options
    Thanks for your help guys. Just to follow us up - the Lilo & Stitch PSX game arrived today and it works a charm on the ePSXe emulator! I'm using the keyboard instead of a gamepad.

Lilopsx.png
  • Options
    I'd really recommend picking up Policenauts if you get a chance - finally translated masterpiece and it runs like a charm on ePSXe. Great emulator, only issue I've ever had has been around some controller issues. Though that was solved with one of those ps2 controller usb adapters.