Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coming off Effexor XR and asthma medication

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm preparing for the future when I am unemployed and health insurancless :p Effexor XR does not come in a generic and the non XR does not sound like something I would like so I'm thinking of going on a different brand. However, I have heard and read that there are absoutly horrific side effects when weening yourself off this. I was wondering if anybody could give me their personal experiences on coming off, like physical side effects and how long they lasted.

Also... speaking of going to generic... I currently take Singulair for my ashtma. I love it will be quite expensive when that time comes. As far as my research has gotten me, there aren't really any other similar pills... only other inhalants (as a once daily prevenative... not the emergency inhaler of course) I know there are a lot of those out there. They all come with side effects like possible throat infection and such... and all sound just awful. So I was wondering if anybody has experience with any brands, what side effects you have had and if you would reccomend or tell me to stay away from any brand.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    my name wrote: »
    I'm preparing for the future when I am unemployed and health insurancless :p Effexor XR does not come in a generic and the non XR does not sound like something I would like so I'm thinking of going on a different brand. However, I have heard and read that there are absoutly horrific side effects when weening yourself off this. I was wondering if anybody could give me their personal experiences on coming off, like physical side effects and how long they lasted.
    Why don't you think you'd like the non XR one?

I didn't have side effects coming off effexor 225mg. My boyfriend did though when he came off effexor. I took the non XR one though.
  • Options
    I don't think I know of anyone who's had throat infections linked in anyway to inhaler usage if that's any help.
  • Options
    I know that there is maybe a chance of thrush due to long term use of inhaled steroids, but that can easily be treated if it occurs. I've always taken Becotide (i haven't needed a new inhaler for a while so it may have changed names) and found it to be good :)

Regarding the Effexor- not great news for me! I've just had my dose put back up to 75mg after managing to get down to taking crumbs of it a day, because i had physical anxiety return on withdrawing it- panic attacks returning when i hadn't had any in years etc :/
    I've made a few threads about my withdrawal attempts, but so far, not so good, for me, it's a bitch to come off!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Why don't you think you'd like the non XR one?

I didn't have side effects coming off effexor 225mg. My boyfriend did though when he came off effexor. I took the non XR one though.

I like the convinence of one pill a day. Non XR would require taking it 2-3 times a day and I don't have the memory for that :p

And thank you for your replies and experiences :D
  • Options
    Actually your best option would be emigrate to the UK and become a citizen with access to free healthcare ;)
  • Options
    I agree, move to england... For selfish reason though, so I can feed you salad cream sandwiches and we can drink morgan's together, it's be a hoot.
  • Options
    And wait a decade to get an appt to check my meds :p

I don't think I could leave my cereal aisle. Though for you Kat... I might just have to have my parents send me weekly care packages ;)