Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting grief about smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else get grief about smoking?

I'm 20 and started when I was 17 - am into sports and training so didn't start to then. I'm the only one at home who smokes and have to smoke outside which is a pain. My parents are always at me to give up and now my girlfriend is saying the same - she used to smoke now and then but not any more. Yesterday when I was waiting on the bus someone gave out to me for smoking and last week I got asked for ID when I was buying them and I'm 20. I know it's not good for you but I enjoy it and don't want to give up for now.

Comments

• Options
    I've no problem with you smoking, just don't make me breath your smoke. Your girlfriend should have some rights over what you do to yourself, but noone else does.
  • Options
    I don't smoke but I don't feel the need to give people who do grief for it! Peope know the bad sides to it enough already I'm not going to force it on them. Each to their own and all that!

I kinda have to do it at work...show willing to help people stop and all that :rolleyes: But then again I have to do it to alcoholics yet go out and binge drink at weekends :o

If you wanna smoke then smoke, it's your choice...maybe your gf just doesn't like you doing it infront of her especially if she has only given up recently :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Dave20, welcome :wave:

Going to move this to the relationships forum.

It's fair enough that you don't want to give up, it's totally your choice, but I can see why your parents don't want you to smoke in the house - the smell does get everywhere and it can impact on other's health.

It's pretty common to get asked for ID these days, so probably not a reflection of how old you look. :)
  • Options
    You shouldn't have to give up, no, but then your parents shouldn't have to have the smell hanging around their house. Your girlfriend probably doesn't like kissing an ash tray and seriously, you don't notice the smell til you've stopped.

I started up again recently but I've made a point of not smoking around my other half and at the bus stop I stand away from the other people a bit because I know it's not nice.

A bit of consideration for other people wouldn't go amiss here, I feel.
  • Options
    as others have said no one likes kissing an ash tray but imo its ur choice if u wanna stop, i smoke and i play a shit load of sports, i know the damage it does to me but if i'm honest i find its a release that i need!

if u do continue to smoke at least have a pack of gum on u so you can at least get rid of taste(works for me but not some mates...werid)