Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

advice?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i think i may be depressed, i don't really have anyone else to seek advice from so i would like to go to my doctor, but i feel so scared and almost embarrassed about doing so,
does anyone who has even gone to their doctor about depression or anything similar have any advice on what i can expect and what a doctor might ask me to help ease my nerves?

Comments

• Options
    ive been to my doc about depression, it was the scariest thing ever, she referred me to a childrens psyciatrist as im only 16 so she wants them to put me on meds, as they can monitour it better than she can, so fingers cross'd things will start to improve soon, i really would suggest u go speak to ur GP, once uve told one person, u will feel so relieved. :) i wish you all the luck :)
  • Options
    Most GPs are pretty clued up on depression, and are easy to speak to, the hardest part I found was making an appointment, so I waited until I had something else to see him about before mentioning it. (Of course, GPS hate it when you try to squeeze two issues into a consultation, but there we go)
  • Options
    Just be honest with them and remember that tehy are bound by confidentiality
    I know when went to my GP i had to fill ina questionaire about my mood and stuff and they asked me lots of questions.
    Try not to dumb down the importance of this key first step, in your own mind. Going to see your GP is the key to overcoming depression and going there in the first place is a big step on the road to recovery
    :wave:
  • Options
    My GP was awesome, and knew I was suffering from it long before I did. I was there for an unrelated matter(insomnia), and he asked if I thought I could be suffering from depression. I - foolishly - laughed it off, under the notion of "Well, if I am, then I always have done, because I feel the same as I did when I was 7...".

He was on the money, and I can honestly say I've had depression, low self-worth and a desire not to live from that age on. It was over 6 months later I started to realise just how right he was...

But... it does depend on the doctor. :)