Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting a flat with awful credit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I moved home 12 months ago to fix my debts and try and get my life back on track after blitzing it up in London.

I'm now in a position where I'm comfortably paying back what I owe, on structured plans etc and am now in a position where I can put a bit aside.

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving in together at next year and a lot of the landlords/adverts etc for renting in this city ask for an Experian credit check.

My credit score is shot to hell, it will take me YEARS to fix it and my boyfriend... thinking he's quite clever has never had credit in his life. Ie. no credit score at all.

Is there anything I can do in the short-term along with the long term to improve my credit score. I can't get any loans or credit cards (not even the really high apr ones).

Will I need to get a co-signer or something?

Comments

• Options
    Will I need to get a co-signer or something?

Exactly, you'd just need someone to act as guarantor for it I'd say.
  • Options
    Your BF should have a bank account, which will be used to generate a credit score - or is he entirely off the radar?

you can request a credit report from experian under the data protection act, for around three pounds, but it's a bit of a pain to find the details to do that.