Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Merry Xmas from the UK Border Agency

I imagine many S*n and Daily Mail readers will be knocking one off over this year's choice of card...

http://ekklesia.co.uk/node/10808

If only they'd added a swastika to the top of the tree, it would have been perfect...

:rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    England prevails...
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I imagine many S*n and Daily Mail readers will be knocking one off over this year's choice of card...

http://ekklesia.co.uk/node/10808

If only they'd added a swastika to the top of the tree, it would have been perfect...

:rolleyes:

What is your beef with it, specifically?
    What is your beef with it, specifically?

It's crass and completely inappropriate as a "Christmas" Card of course. Season of Goodwill for all- apart from those pesky Johnny Foreigners kicked out of the country or denied entry, a few of whom who are invariably being sent back to their deaths. I hope they can at least see the irony of it and have a cynical laugh.
    Well I don't agree with public agencies sending Christmas cards as it's a waste of money and everyone knows it's just come off your stakeholder e-mail list, but given that it doesn't seem crass and inappropriate at all
    I think if it is read with an awareness and appreciation of some of the ham-fisted and genuinely fascistic blunders and excesses of the agency, I think 'crass' and 'inappropriate' might begin to seem more fitting...
    It does seem completely pointless. Most of us are aware that the UKBA exists, most of us will never encounter any of them except at an airport. Why then they feel the need is beyond me.
    Well I don't agree with public agencies sending Christmas cards as it's a waste of money and everyone knows it's just come off your stakeholder e-mail list, but given that it doesn't seem crass and inappropriate at all

This. It seems a bit pointless and wasteful for agencies like this to be sending out cards, but if they're going to do it then I don't see why the card's that bad.
    I think what Aladdin is getting at is that it is a bullish statement in the context of what the organisation and it's adjacent organisations in the private sector (Serco for example) have been up to.

The text of the card is (if a little aggressive) all terribly laudable as long as one doesn't look too hard to find truly atrocious crimes against vulnerable people being committed in the name of good old Blighty.

A recent declaration by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health is a good place to start - http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/doc.aspx?id_Resource=5828

This isn't something you'll likely see on 'Border Cops'...
    Well I don't agree with public agencies sending Christmas cards as it's a waste of money

Totally agree. Waste of my taxes...

Also, it's certainly pandering to a certain perspective, although what else is their remit?
    It doesn't exactly fill you with Christmas cheer. :eek2:
    I feel like one of those cuddly creatures on the Dodge advert; "Its neither fuzzy nor wuzzy".
    I find their policy of locking up children more unpleasant than this card which was clearly designed by an expensive and wasteful consultant or PR company.