Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Skin care

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i need some help with good products i have normal/combination skin, never really had particularly bad skin, just occasional zits, but i could do with getting a proper skincare regime on the go, but im not sure what products are good, or what i should even really be looking for in relation to my skin type. I know quite a lot of it is personal to your skin, but any guidance in the right direction would be perfect.

So anyone able to shine some light on this for me?

Comments

• Options
    *sigh* im no good at this- i have combination/oily skin and i've been through loads of the 'off the shelf' spot treatments and skincare products, but i haven't found anything that i really like and is nice on my skin :(

I don't have loads of cash - i would like to try something like dermoligica, but i'm afraid to splash out on it in case it doesn't work :/

I know that my doc told me to always look for water- based products rather than oil- based products, but apart from that i have no idea!

i'd love to find a brand/regime i'm happy with also!
  • Options
    I use Clean and Clear exfoliating scrub and sometimes their other face wash that makes ur face all tingly

The scrub is good cos you can feel it taking off the dead skin and leaving it all smooooth :) I use it everywhere else as well not just face
  • Options
    dermatolgica always gets good reviews when people tell me about it
    la prairie is also another good one
    la mer, its either a love or hate thing...nothing in between (im part of the loving following)

I dont think you can really go wrong with the first two

clinique is a huuuuuuuuuuge no no
  • Options
    I love Lush, I use angels on bare skin as an everday, and dark angels when I want a bit more exfoliation.
    It's all natural stuff, you can buy online or instore, if you go into a store they'll talk with you about your skin etc and help you find something they think will suit you and will be happy to give you a sample of it, the cleansers are about £5 from there, and they last ages. They're not all that conventional though, they can take a bit of getting used to as they're mainly solid :)
  • Options
    I used to have major skin issue's where i had very sensitive skin and many products cause me to come out in rashes all over my face
    i spoke to my hairdresser/beautician about it and she suggested
    the product range of simple
    within a week of using the facial scrub, facial exfoliating wipes, light hydrating moisteriser etc etc
    and my rashes where almost gone, my skin felt soft and smooth and i was amazed and havnt used any other skin product since
    the price is not too expensive and in my opinion
  • Options
    Yeah I would also recommend the Simple range, it's cheap and always gets good reviews up against some much more expensive stuff.

I have quite sensitive skin so it's quite difficult to find products I like. I have tried Dermalogica as my friend is a beautician, but I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I've tried the cleansers, moisturisers and toners but didn't rave about any of it.

Garnier have a new range called Soft Essentials which I also think is good and around the same price point as the Simple range.
  • Options
    Penguin wrote: »
    I love Lush, I use angels on bare skin as an everday, and dark angels when I want a bit more exfoliation.
    It's all natural stuff, you can buy online or instore, if you go into a store they'll talk with you about your skin etc and help you find something they think will suit you and will be happy to give you a sample of it, the cleansers are about £5 from there, and they last ages. They're not all that conventional though, they can take a bit of getting used to as they're mainly solid :)

I also use that one and love it. I havn't used it personally but I've heard http://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=749&category_id=493&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80 is really good for oily skin. is good for oily skin though it can be a bit too strong and http://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=115&category_id=493&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80 is supposidly more gentle.
  • Options
    ^ I just bought Herbalism yesterday. Have done 3 applications and I will let you know how my skin is by the end of the week. I should probably stop popping pimples too as it makes it worse *sigh*
  • Options
    Don't use anything. Yes really. I have combination skin and everything I used just stripped the skin of it's oil (great!) so my skin worked overtime to replace it (baaaaad!) So just wash your face with water and if you feel the need to, use a face mask every 2-3 weeks. I use the Neutrogena 2 in 1 daily/face wash only as a mask once a month ish.
    Seriously, give it a go, the worst that will happen is that your skin stays the same and you will have saved some money.

As a side note, I never use Lush because of their support of unethical groups.
  • Options
    Or you could use an alcohol free face wash, as alcohol is what dries your skin out. Would you shower the rest of your body with only water peeyou :p
  • Options
    Would you shower the rest of your body with conditioner? Some people have the ability to rub different washes into different parts of the body...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    beachbum wrote: »
    Would you shower the rest of your body with conditioner? Some people have the ability to rub different washes into different parts of the body...:rolleyes:

Maybe :rolleyes: Would you wash your bum with fly paper? :rolleyes: I do like the wash off shower lotion which is mighty similar to conditioner, as is my shaving cream! :p
  • Options
    What are you on about?
  • Options
    Answering your question and asking another, pretty obvious!
  • Options
    st ives apricot scrub is something I like to use once or twice a week and seems to do the job :)

best way is just to try out products. i know that there are all these labels such as combination/oily/dry skin but the way your face is gonna react to something seems much more individual than that.

ooh but i can reccomend moisturising twice a day! my face seems to appreciate it at the moment. winter weather :mad:
  • Options
    I've heard of people just using water on their face and exfoliating with a wet muslin cloth/flannel. I use Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish and I have oily skin and it's great. It's not cheap but it does last a few months.
  • Options
    So I've been using Herbalism and my skin is pretty good. I mentioned it to a co-worker and she said my skin is looking good. I've got a monster of a zit on my hairline though but I'm leaving it alone and it's slowly shrinking. My nose is much less greasy too.