Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Made a dent into a car, help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i would say about 3 weeks ago i had a 5/10mph crash into someones car, it was a slight dent/scratch, nothing damaged to my car.

we pulled over and then i gave him my phone number/ address and insurance company, all he gave over was his name/mobile - i asked if this was all i need, ive only been driving a two months and its my first. He said that he would rather deal it together rather than through insurance comapnys (said ill be hit hard)

He went quiet for 2 weeks and texted me last night saying he has seen the person that could fix it, just received a quote for £350.

He said hell send me a statement, what if he has no insurance? and im sending him £350.. what if his mate is only fixed it for £50 and making a new quote for £350, pocketing him/them £300... would it best to pay £350 of go through insurance (think i gotta pay £100 no matter what). dunno

Comments

• Options
    often cars will need a new panel after a dent, it does depend though. but for example I know of a micra which had some dents to its front wing and it was ~£300 to replace the whole front wing.
  • Options
    If I were you I would tell the insurance company.

Never trust anyone who tells you that "someone" can fix it. For all you know he might do a bad job.

My sister had a bump and the guy who crashed in to her said this. She went through her insurance company and it didn't cost her a thing (she's 30). It would have cost her just over £1000 altogether.

Go through your insurance joshmeister. If your over 25 you can get a courtesy car, while yours is being repaired.

And it will be repaired up to a high standard.
  • Options
    What car was it, and where was the damage? If you're paying for the damage, you want a good receipt drawn up and signed by both parties. Something along the lines of the matter now considered closed, no further action to be taken by either side, and the owner of the car is responsible for their own repairs and the quality thereof after accepting the amount offered by you as full and final settlement.

Take legal advice though...
  • Options
    If I were you I would tell the insurance company.

Never trust anyone who tells you that "someone" can fix it. For all you know he might do a bad job.

My sister had a bump and the guy who crashed in to her said this. She went through her insurance company and it didn't cost her a thing (she's 30). It would have cost her just over £1000 altogether.

Go through your insurance joshmeister. If your over 25 you can get a courtesy car, while yours is being repaired.

And it will be repaired up to a high standard.

Its his car that was damaged
  • Options
    How much no claims do you stand to lose?
  • Options
    Its his car that was damaged

I know I can read ya know! lol
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    How much no claims do you stand to lose?

being new to this,

i think i gotta pay £200 no matter what
    and i dont think any as ive only been driving a couple of months.
  • Options
    Hang on, who's fault was it? If it was his fault then he can pay it himself.

Also, if someone is claiming on your insurance then you don't pay the excess. The excess is only for damage to your vehicle. As you've only been driving a few months I'd speak to the insurance company, if they don't bump your premiums up then I'd go through them.
  • Options
    Only avoid going through the insurance companies if its damage that you have caused to your car, and nobody else is involved, like say reversing into a bollard or something. Otherwise go through the insurance firm or you might get screwed over by this bloke!
  • Options
    I would go through insurance company too.
  • Options
    Always go through the insurance company -

they are the experts at this sort of thing. Also they have huge teams dedicated to stop people getting ripped off (and them having to pay out more)
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Hang on, who's fault was it? If it was his fault then he can pay it himself.

Also, if someone is claiming on your insurance then you don't pay the excess. The excess is only for damage to your vehicle. As you've only been driving a few months I'd speak to the insurance company, if they don't bump your premiums up then I'd go through them.

I didn't know that, is that true? We are just about to sort out a bump my husband had with his work van and he was responsible - no damage to the van but a bit to the other car... will this mean we don't have to pay any excess?