Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Birthdays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With how much importance do people generally treat their friends birthdays?

I ask because a friend of mine recently had her birthday. I bought her a drink on her birthday night out (which I went to despite not knowing anyone else there), got her a card and sent her a nice text on the morning of her actual birthday (which was a few days after her night out)

Ever since though i have had this nagging feeling that I should have got her a present of some kind and I am in some way stingy....even though I often do this girl favours.

Does it depend on the strength of the relationship or how long you've known someone? Or just how much disposable cash you happen to have at the time?

Every chance I am just being paranoid, but thought i'd ask anyway, what do you lot do for your friends birthdays? :D

Comments

• Options
    Neddy wrote: »
    With how much importance do people generally treat their friends birthdays?

I ask because a friend of mine recently had her birthday. I bought her a drink on her birthday night out (which I went to despite not knowing anyone else there), got her a card and sent her a nice text on the morning of her actual birthday (which was a few days after her night out)

Ever since though i have had this nagging feeling that I should have got her a present of some kind and I am in some way stingy....even though I often do this girl favours.

Does it depend on the strength of the relationship or how long you've known someone? Or just how much disposable cash you happen to have at the time?

Every chance I am just being paranoid, but thought i'd ask anyway, what do you lot do for your friends birthdays? :D

It depends on your relationship strength and whether you can afford to or not,

A lot of my friends birthdays I'll buy them a drink etc but I can't always afford to buy them presents and tbh the same happens to me, I never get mithed or riled that someone never got me a present and I am happy with a "Happy Birthday have a good day" with a hug and peck on the cheek if it is a nice women :cool: :naughty: but honestly, no I think you did more than enough so do not worry.

also this may be better suited in the Relationship section etc?
  • Options
    If it was my best, best friend, I might get them a present. But generally just a happy birthday text, or email, or card would do it!

I'm not bothered about friends getting me presents. Tbh it's enough just that people remember, cause a lot don't!
  • Options
    In all my years and all my friends I've never really done presents or even cards except when I was little and you had little kid birthday parties and your parents bought the present... I remember my mom always had a stash of gifts for birthday parties and when she would bring them out and ask what I wanted to give I always wondered why if she had all this stuff she never gave it to me... but thats far beyond the point now!

Even for my best friends, being together is what we do, not gifts. Perhaps buy them a couple rounds, split the cost of their dinner, pay their cover charge between the other people there. Thats about it.