Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I stopped taking my pill (microgynon 30) a couple of months ago just because I wanted a bit of a break from it, had a period when I stopped it but I've not had one since, is this normal?

Also I've decided I want to take it again but because I've not had a period I can't take it on the first day of my period, as well...I don't know when that will be :chin: I know if you take it on the first day of your period you are covered straight away but when you don't does it take 7 days before you are protected? I am all very confused by it, I've had a nosey at the leaflet but couldn't see anything about it :no:

Comments

• Options
    When you start taking it again, you've got 7 days til you are protected. I know they say if you take it on first day of your period you will be protected straight away but i would still give it 7 days to be on the safe side.

As for your periods stopping, i dont know, maybe ring Brook or go to a family planning clinic to be safe. No point starting your pill again if you dont know whats going on
  • Options
    Thanks :) ...I might pop down to the gum clinic when im in work tomorrow see what they say :chin:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Okay, so I stopped taking my pill (microgynon 30) a couple of months ago just because I wanted a bit of a break from it, had a period when I stopped it but I've not had one since, is this normal?

It can be. It can take a while for your cycles to re-adjust. The first time I came off the pill, I had my normal withdrawal bleed, then nothing for 3 months. It sorted itself out in the end.

If you think there's any chance you could be pregnant, I'd take a test, but generally I think this experience is pretty common.

You don't need to wait for the first day of your period to restart, but if you don't, like Lexi said, you are NOT protected straight away. Some pills advise taking extra precautions for 7 days, some for 14 days. It's usually 7, but if you can't find anything in the leaflet, I'd be tempted to err on the side of caution and give it 14 days :)
  • Options
    No, I'm definatly not pregnant! I've not had sex for like 6 months...so if I was I think I'd notice by now ;):p