Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Family Complications

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when i came to uni in coventry the last thing i expect was to fall for my friends brother who i know from home who is at uni in wales. we both feel the same way about each other and going to make the relationship more official over the xmas holidays. however he is worried about the family involvement, both our parents are close and he doesnt like his family knowing everything about his love life but with me that would be impossible. how can i reassure him that they will be oK?
(please- this issue is making me upset because i dont know what to do.)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey bluebell123 :wave:

How are things going? Try not to let the family issue worry you too much, it can always be a bit daunting telling the family about a new relationship and of course if your families know each other then there's an added pressure there. It sounds like your boyfriend is finding this quite hard to deal with and as a result you probably feel a bit stuck in the middle.

Try reassuring him that your families don't need to know everything about your relationship unless you chose to talk to them about how things are going. You're both away at university so the distance will help with that. If you do like to talk to your mum or dad for example and you're quite close then you can make it clear to them that you'd really appreciate them not talking about things to the other parents. That way your business stays your own.

Being honest with them fairly early on will make it less of a big deal too, if your parents are close then it's likely they'll be happy for the both of you and reassured themselves that they have some knowledge about who you're going out with. They may even have some idea already, it can be quite spooky sometimes how much parents can cotton on to without you knowing!

Talking things through with your boyfriend when the moment feels right and thinking about how best you want to let your parents know so that it's as painless as possible will help. Once it's out of the way you can both get on with enjoying being together without this worry hanging over you.

Good luck with it and I hope you have a great Christmas time together :)