Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Street strangers talking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We all get random people passing in the streets approaching us. Sometimes they sit next to you on a park bench and want to talk, may be after your small change, ask for directions or are simply nutters who are likely to be trouble

Do you entertain strangers who stop you in the streets about?

Comments

• Options
    no, i mutter to myself maddly and scare them off,
    not for laughs, i just do that

:P
  • Options
    Well i've never had a randomer stop me and ask about the weather. But i have talked to people i don't know loads of times, usually a random conversation brings a smile to my face.
  • Options
    Well i've never had a randomer stop me and ask about the weather. But i have talked to people i don't know loads of times, usually a random conversation brings a smile to my face.

Is this how you met your other hal... I mean stalker?

I hate stranger talking only time I don't mind it is when I am working, dodging the bloody leaflet people and survay people in glasgow is always a nightmare
  • Options
    I love talking to strangers about just about anything.. I would not go to the extreme of being the nutter who talks to anybody that passes them in the street but if say someone is looking at a map in a confused manner in my town i will stop and talk to them and see if i can help!

I dont think I ever lost that bit of me when I was a kid that lets you talk to complete strangers and relate to them, keep talking because it seperates us from the other animals boys!
  • Options
    I seem to attract all the random nutters who want to chat. I am usually polite, not just to be kind (I guess I take pity on them for being so weird) but also cos they scare me abit so I wanna stay on their good side!
  • Options
    People only initiate convo with 'weather' in polite social situations. More off beat ways are used to drag you into talking by street strangers- usually folks at a loose end and fumbling in social success
  • Options
    I love talking to strangers about just about anything.. I would not go to the extreme of being the nutter who talks to anybody that passes them in the street but if say someone is looking at a map in a confused manner in my town i will stop and talk to them and see if i can help!

I dont think I ever lost that bit of me when I was a kid that lets you talk to complete strangers and relate to them, keep talking because it seperates us from the other animals boys!
    OK you're very outgoing and extrovert
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I seem to attract all the random nutters who want to chat. I am usually polite, not just to be kind (I guess I take pity on them for being so weird) but also cos they scare me abit so I wanna stay on their good side!
    Maybe you make the right sort of eye contact with people in the street. In London the norm is to avoid eye contact- just focus on where you're going
  • Options
    I just walk passed, and if they say anything i turn round an give em the finger if they say anything...

Rebel.
  • Options
    I often do that at parties. Most people are cunts, but usually I'm tipsy enough to just not care and talk someone else up. In the streets I'm usually too surprised/struck dumb to talk to someone.

Man, I just need to tell this story right now about talking strangers up. So a friend of mine and me were biking in summer and since we both live on the outskirts of vienna (near the Donau) we cycled along the river into the city. My friend had one of these bikes where you can fasten your shoes to your pedals. When we biked up a ramp (from the river Wien) to a busy street I braked to think which direction to go next. My friend braked too and couldn't get out of his pedals and just fell flat on his side with the bike. Two cute girls were passing and said, "oh, are you hurt? This happened to me too once." Rather genuine. He muttered something and they went along. I said to him, "cool way to break the ice, let's catch them up and talk with them." So we did and asked where they were heading. They said to some kind of restaurant (about 15 minutes of walk) and asked if we would like to give them a lift on our handlebars (so they were pretty attractive) and my friend replied, "Well you just saw how dangerous that is!", they said, "hm, that's true." the traffic light went green and they were gone. Could have hit him.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Maybe you make the right sort of eye contact with people in the street. In London the norm is to avoid eye contact- just focus on where you're going

I think that stereotype is too extreme. I've had plenty of random conversations with people in London - on the bus, in cafes, shops...
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I think that stereotype is too extreme. I've had plenty of random conversations with people in London - on the bus, in cafes, shops...
    I've had random convo too- but most people and myself are just intent on where we're going
  • Options
    I just walk passed, and if they say anything i turn round an give em the finger if they say anything...
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Rebel.
    You mean don't care, won't care
  • Options
    I love random conversations with strangers, I've always met someone who I can have at least a lil chat and a laugh with:

Today on the train I chatted to 2 seperate women about whether i was on the right train or not

Ice skating the other day a couple were watching and we got chatting to them. Both were holding beer cans and were obviously drunks, not very well off etc but were nice enough

I was walking home one day when 2 blokes about 40 odd walked past and said 'Excuse me love, you lookin for me?.... thats oneof the times i didnt wanna get in a conversation with them!
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I love random conversations with strangers, I've always met someone who I can have at least a lil chat and a laugh with:

Today on the train I chatted to 2 seperate women about whether i was on the right train or not

Ice skating the other day a couple were watching and we got chatting to them. Both were holding beer cans and were obviously drunks, not very well off etc but were nice enough

I was walking home one day when 2 blokes about 40 odd walked past and said 'Excuse me love, you lookin for me?.... thats oneof the times i didnt wanna get in a conversation with them!

Yes, strangers can make a train journey and skate at the ice rink enjoyable :)
  • Options

:yes:

I've had some great experiences talking to strangers. Unless they are nutters and the person isn't slowing my day down (e.g. waiting at a bus stop or airport), I'm very happy to chat.

I once met an old man who was at university and knew both J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis who were lecturing there at the time. It's a long'ish story about how we met and what happened but it was an experience that I have never forgotten and it taught me not to dismiss the friendliness of strangers.
  • Options
    I'm sure I've had some randoms but the only one I could think of happened today. I was texting a mate and this old guy smirks at me and says "He isn't home hee hee". I smiled while thinking "wtf ...???"
    Random old people.
  • Options
    I'm sure I've had some randoms but the only one I could think of happened today. I was texting a mate and this old guy smirks at me and says "He isn't home hee hee". I smiled while thinking "wtf ...???"
    Random old people.
    Elderly people are often isolated in retirement, especially with friends deceased and maybe family don't care. Some are forced to talk to people in the street for social contact in order to stay mentally healthy- no one else to convo with
  • Options
    I know some old people can be a pain but in general, I don't understand why young people disrespect them. Believe it or not, they were young once too - and we all certainly will be (unless we die prematurely). They also had dreams, hopes and aspirations like we do. I have a lot of time for old people. Many have had very interesting lives if only one took the time to engage with them.
  • Options
    A random Irish couple taught me to skate once at the ice rink, they were so nice I don't think I could have NOT talked to them.
  • Options
    I love old people, there is a couple at the end of my street that finish off each others sentences. And I get all my gossip about the village from them.
  • Options
    Where I grew up you were thought as quite bitchy and rude if you didn't say hello to people as you passed them walking around the lake (big lake in the center of town that everybody walked/skated/whatever around for exercise and fun) But where I live now you are thought of as annoying psycho who just just mind their own business if you pretend that anybody but yourself exists :p I've grown used to it and nobody talkes to me and I talk to nobody.

Except this one time on the train the guy next to me started talking, I would have talked back but I was in dire need of finishing some homework as I was on my way to class so I said a few words and opened my book... it was only as I got off that I noticed the book he was reading, a sort of how to guide on breaking out of your shell and being able to talk to people. I felt so bad and rude so I made sure to saygoodbye on the way out.
  • Options
    I wasn't at all being disrespectful to him and I'm sorry if I came across like that as I'm not a 'disrespectful to old people young person'. Besides, he wasn't even that old, the way he was grabbing his wife's bum. And the other lady standing next to him :lol: