Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

seasonings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody have any tips or know any good websites to learn how to season foods? Everything I make always comes out bland... and I want to use real seasons and spices and herbs... salt rarely... the boyfriend eats enough to kill a cow and my family has a history of high bp and I know you can season quite well without. We have an adequate spice rack but still everything turns out just blah.

Comments

• Options
    Keep your herbs and spices in a cupboard. Sunlight oxidises them and they lose flavour.

Usually you put fresh herbs in towards the end of cooking, dry at the start. You need less of a dried herb than fresh.

Basil, chives, parsley you can grow all year round in pots on the window sill as long as it's a warm and sunny position.

Never, ever, ever buy powdered nutmeg. It's crap. Buy whole and grate it as and when you need it. Try it in white sauces and pasta sauces, about half a teaspoon.

Get a peppermill. Freshly ground is much better.

Thyme - Great with roasted veg and fatty meats like pork and lamb.

Rosemary - See thyme :)

Tarragon - For chicken and mushrooms and clear sauces, gravies.

Chives - For dips, cheese dishes, garnish, potatoes.

Basil - Anything tomatoe based

Parsley - Almost anything. A spoon or two of chopped parsley added just before serving gives all sorts of things a lift.

Oregan - Anything italian. Goes well in chilli too.

Sage - Roasted veg, potatoes, pork and lamb and stuffing.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Does anybody have any tips or know any good websites to learn how to season foods? Everything I make always comes out bland... and I want to use real seasons and spices and herbs... salt rarely... the boyfriend eats enough to kill a cow and my family has a history of high bp and I know you can season quite well without. We have an adequate spice rack but still everything turns out just blah.

Seasoning basically is salt and pepper, don't listen too much to the anti salt bridage - food is bland without it. Use sea salt. Experiment, use chilli, salt, black pepper - whatever. Mild chilli sauces can be a sodium substitute too.

Here in Brazil, they use special tempero's - which means marinade sort of. As we know Brazil are pretty much at the top of the global charts when it comes to beef, for me second to Argentina. When cooking any meat the process is sort of as follows - mix fresh garlic, onion, pepper and salt all over the meat and leave it for days, minutes - whatever, quite often this removes the need for seasoning. Don't listen to the English that will tell you - don't put salt on beef before cooking, it dries the meat - wifes tale. Overcooking dries the bloody meat!

Enjoy.
  • Options
    sorry - links
    not much in English but here goes:

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/09/09/the-special-steak-and-tempero/

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/09/09/the-special-steak-and-tempero/

as I suggested above, use this, I think the Brazilians season as well and anyone globally.

Rub onto chicken, beef, pork, when in oven / pan, keep pork and chicken moist but basting in butter and soya sauce...