Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Root Canal Filling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i had a root canal filling yesterday and, despite everybodys horror stories they felt the need to tell me, it was totally fine and didnt hurt at all. i had it done at about 9.30am. however now (from around 7pm last night) its been absolutely killing. its hurting and aching so much i couldnt really sleep much last night. i tried 2 ibruprofen but it hardly took the edge off. i ended up taking a cocodamol that i got prescribed to me after a operation about a month ago, which has been brilliant and stopped it hurting.

but i know that when it wears off i'll have to take another one. do you think its okay to keep taking them? on the box it says they can become addictive but i cant imagine that, im only going to take them while its still hurting. and, is it normal for it to be painful after a root canal? i guess i might just leave it to calm down today but then i'll have to wait all weekend if its still hurting, to contact the dentist on monday. any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's normal to hurt a bit for a while, but if it continues longer than a couple of days or so, I'd go back to the dentist. They normally have emergency contact numbers for over the weekend, or if they don't, your area should have an emergency dental clinic.

I found the best thing for toothache was ibuprofen and paracetamol, alternately, every couple of hours (being careful not to take more than recommended!) It also helps if you take them regularly - if you wait for it to start to hurt, it's a lot harder to get rid of the pain.

Don't think taking your prescription drugs would be a problem short term, but I'd try to avoid taking too many, if you can :)
    If its still really really painful now, and more so than the dentist suggested it might be then I'd give them a call today, just to get some advice before the weekend.

They'll probably say it's to be expected and to double up on ibuprofen and paracetamol, but worth a call during working hours to check.
    thanks girls, i rang them and they've given me a prescription for some antibiotics. im definitely not taking anymore cocodamol after today i took 2 and i felt really dizzy and sick and couldnt even focus on what i was trying to see at work! i took ibruprofen and it worked this afternoon, but now its coming back with a vengeance :( just took some more so hopefully itl kick in soon.
    I think it is funny that so many people say it hurts. They numb you and then they do whatever they do to get rid of the nerve and pulp. No nerve/pulp=no feelings, dead tooth. Though having said that my dentist gave me a full bottle of vicodin with 2 refills when I had one done... but we were all pretty sure he was an addict anyhow so perhaps he was just sharing the wealth.

Perhaps they didn't get all the infection or all the tooth innards out. Glad you got a bit of help now and holpefully it is bearable until you can get back in :)
    Sounds like a reasonable course of action.

You know you can alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol, so basically taking both at once? If you alternate the two though its more effective.
    yeah i went to see the pharmacist at my work and he told me to alternate the two, iv not done it yet but mainly because i just feel like a bit of a pill popper taking some many tablets! so basically i could take two ibruprofen now, then in two hours take 2 paracetamol, then in another two hours some more ibruprofen? it seems weird taking two tablets every two hours!

im hoping the antibiotics start to work soon cos i dont want to put up with this much longer. but even more i dont want to go back to the dentist and have anymore stuff done, im really scared of them as it is. at least i got some sleep last night. :)
    yeah i went to see the pharmacist at my work and he told me to alternate the two, iv not done it yet but mainly because i just feel like a bit of a pill popper taking some many tablets! so basically i could take two ibruprofen now, then in two hours take 2 paracetamol, then in another two hours some more ibruprofen? it seems weird taking two tablets every two hours!

Don't worry about taking them that often, thats what we advise patients :)
    Paracetamol work alot better than people think so alternating the two should hopefully get rid of the pain plus with the antibiotics it should soon settle down :)

Don't worry about looking like a pill popper...I'd rather that than be in agony :(
    Root canal without pain relief is mega!