Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am i making a huge mistake?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really need to talk to someone just to put my mind off things.

Ive been with my boyfriend nearly a year and 8 months, he's my first serous boyfriend and my first everything. I cant tell you how fantastic he is, he's caring, he's good looking, loves me the way i am and always tells me this everyday. Yet he gets under my skin about 50% of the time.

When im with him things are usually pretty good, but when were apart he's texting me all the time. At first i thought it was cute and enjoyed it as every chance i got to talk to him was fantastic. Its getting hard work as i have to text him everyday on the way to work, on my lunch break for the whole hour and then on my way home. Then before i go to bed at 10 o'clock and no later. I loathe texting people now and sometimes hate looking at my phone. Because if im even busy, he keeps sending texts like why aren you texting, text me back etc.

He can also get quite possesive and jealous. I have facebook and a few random guys added me, so my boyfriend added them all checking up on me. He goes through my phone too.

We've had quite a few pathetic arguements over me talking to guys (harmless friendly chats) and he's even made me completely lose contact with these people. Its too much to bear when we have arguments because both of us think were right. We sort of apologise and brush it under the carpet, but its still there.

As i said i enjoy being with him, but all we do is stay in, watch films, talk a bit, and get up to things when were alone. I love him so much but its getting a bit boring. Also he gets mardy if i dont do things for him sexually, so he pesters me (not in a pushy way).

I love him and i know he loves me. I just think he's sort of suffocated me a bit the whole way through the relationship and im a bit fed up. He also always tells me that he never wants to lose me and would de if he did. This worries me too :/

As soon as another guy shows me attention, i go like weak. Most guys say oh sorry you have a boyfriend, dont want to get you in trouble. Although ive never cheated, im getting closer to doing it.

I just feel that im fed up of being told what to do. I just want the chance to be single and see other guys because i never really had the chance, but i dont want to lose my boyfriend as i know we'd always be together. I love him so much and dont want to hurt him but i cant ignore these problems.

Do i leave him, have failed relationships or meet my soulmate. Or am i about to give up the best thing thats ever happened to me?

Sorry for the essay. Any one want to try and help!?

x

Comments

• Options
    Although ive never cheated, im getting closer to doing it.

This tells me everything I need to know.

I know you say you're happy but from an outsider's perspective it seems to me that you aren't at all. The fact that you're even considering cheating shows me that your subconscious is screaming at you to get out of the relationship.
  • Options
    Well... it says you want something to change.
  • Options
    Im just scared because my parents love him and so do i tbh! Ive felt like this before, ignored it and we've been fine for a few months, besides the arguements.
    I really dont know what to do :/
  • Options
    How would you feel if he left you?
  • Options
    To be honest I think the main problem is that he's paranoid and you're bored. Love isn't always enough. Talk to him and tell him how you're feeling and that if he doesn't change (and be aware that he may ask you to change some things too) you're going to be pushed towards leaving him.
  • Options
    Shocked. Bit upset. I always used to think to myself how i wouldnt be able to cope if we broke up. But now..id be upset understandbly, but i somehow think id manage to cope.
  • Options
    Have you talked to him about how you feel? Ok, maybe not that you're close to cheating, but that you feel a bit stuck in a rut and suffocated?
  • Options
    Ive told him im fed up with all the jealousy. and ive metioned that i dont like texting 24/7. this just upsets him more and he says he onlys texts me because he loves me and wants to talk to me. this is fine but cant he ring me, or let me ring him. when i went on holiday he still demanded i texted him so many times a day.

he always says he misses me, but he doesnt give me chance to miss him.

he's so sensitive i darent say half of this stuff.
  • Options
    Why don't you ring him instead of txting him sometimes?
  • Options
    He wont, he's awakward. and when i do ring him, i do all the talking. you'd think after nearly 2 years, knowing eachother so well u'd be able to talk on the phone.
  • Options
    Ive told him im fed up with all the jealousy. and ive metioned that i dont like texting 24/7. this just upsets him more and he says he onlys texts me because he loves me and wants to talk to me.

I don't know if he's controlling, or overly needy, but from the way you write you don't sounds like you have a very healthy relationship.

You may love him, but are you in love with him? Is it enough?
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    I don't know if he's controlling, or overly needy, but from the way you write you don't sounds like you have a very healthy relationship.

You may love him, but are you in love with him? Is it enough?

you may be right :/ i think he's both needy and controlling. and he's woke up in the night before having a nightmare crying because he's scared i might cheat on him or he's going to lose me. im just scared. ive been with him for so long. and at the moment things are going well, and i never let on to him how im truly feeling, so it'd be a bit of a shock to him. but again i dont want to be staying with him for all the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    I think you feel too constrained in this relationship for it to work. you've tried talking about it, but got nowhere.

Your choices are
    1. Live with it. Eventually you'll come to expect no more from life, and will be "happy"
    2. Steal yourself some freedom, but feel guilty about it.
    3. Cheat on him so he dumps you, but you don't feel guilty about the break up because he pushed you into it.
    4. Be free. Leave him despite the pain it will cause in the short term.
  • Options
    Leave him.

Texting is ok, but it is no substitute for talking and no basis for a relationship. Your bf needs to learn how to be a man. At the moment he's still behaving like a boy. A lot of men carry on like this through life, but they make their women's life hell. Best for both of you that he learns this lesson sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Quite a lot of what you're talking about sounds like me and the men in my relationships. And guess what- i'm single now.

I think perhaps you are growing up and your boyfriend isn't. Possessive jealousy is not healthy- a little bit is okay, but not so much that he's suffocating you.

Yes sometimes relationships do just go through bad patches and at the end you can come out all right, but to me this one sounds more like it should be ending, rather than you riding it out.

It is a big step to take when your partner is so integrated in your life- but it is possible. I finally decided i had to look after my interests rather than worry about the effect the breakup would have on my family etc.
  • Options
    I think deep down you know what you have to do. It's hard, but have courage and trust your instincts.

I recently split up with my boyfriend and although the problems we were having weren't the same as yours, the way I was feeling about him was very similar to how you are feeling about your boyfriend. Confronting that niggling, doubting feeling was a very tough thing to do, but once I'd done it it felt like a weight had lifted, despite the sadness and pain it initially caused us both. It WILL be difficult, but don't you think you deserve the chance to be in a relationship where you don't have to doubt your feelings?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Shocked. Bit upset. I always used to think to myself how i wouldnt be able to cope if we broke up. But now..id be upset understandbly, but i somehow think id manage to cope.

:yes: I think you would too.
  • Options
    Guilt is not a good enough reason to stay in a relationship.

I bang on about this all the time, but everyone deserves to be with someone who turns their world upside down. Never settle.
  • Options
    Olive's right.

Break ups are absolutely awful at the time. Breaking the heart of someone who means the world to you is no picnic, and nobody comes out if unscathed.

But given time, you come to realise you did the right thing and you'll feel glad about it. I felt terrible dumping my first boyfriend, he was devastated and I felt like shit. But we both recovered, and you both will too.
  • Options
    M fella did the constant texting thing and alwas needing reassurance. We talked about it and he realised he is insecure and was tring to control me in a wa b making me text back what he wanted to hear. He has had one couselling session over it and now all's well again. Just to show, some things can be worked on.