Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I Feel Guilty For Having An Eating Disorder...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel guilty for having an eating disorder.
Something I cant help.
And yet.
I feel guilty.

My friends know that I had an eating disorder (anorexia that developed into bulimia) and they dont accept it.
I starter to be sick again lately and stuff, then last night I talked to them about it. We also talked about my self harm (cutting etc.).
It's made me feel really bad. They dont understand that I cant just forget about my anorexia and all of a sudden be alright.

I understand that they're upset but....I want to stop doing all of this for them but if I do I need them to understand it. However when I try to talk to them about it, they get upset and sometimes they cry.....And...That just makes me feel even more guilty.

I want them to understand it all so they can be there to help me...How?

Comments

• Options
    Heya,
    Don't feel guilty about having an eating disorder - its the ed that makes you think that. Ive been there.....I know what you mean about them wanting you to forget. My mum is like that with me saying that i should forget that i went into hospital - i can't though cause it ain't that easy. Its been part of your life and at some stage eating in a destructive way makes those with ed's think's its normal...i still have this issue although i now eat...They probably just don't know how to help you - they are probably worried and want to help in the best way that they can. Just give them time - have you directed them to b-eat??? Its a really good organisation that helps those with ed's and their family and friends - they are really helpful and maybe that will help your friends understand.
    hope this is of use.
    love
    jennie
    xxx
  • Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty but I think you have to realise that it will be hard for them to understand. Its a complex situation and one that people will struggle to get their heads around. Yeah ocasionally they will say the wrong thing or get upset when you need them to stay strong for you but they care. They care enough to get upset and try and be there for you. Give them time and let them know you are greatful they are here for you. :)