Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hot flashes and fainting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone get hot flashes? I'm 23 and I've been getting steadily more serious temperature changes around my period but these days get complete hot flashes where I'm standing in an (apparently) cold room taking layers off and my friends are putting my discarded clothes on to keep warm (no exaggeration; this was church on Sunday for me)...

Also I fainted on the first day of my period having spent all morning at work dashing back and forth from the loo with digestive problems and vomiting.

I've got a doctor's appointment booked just wondered if anyone else had either/both of these problems.

Comments

• Options
    I haven't, but I think you're definitely doing the right thing talking to your doctor.

It sounds like your hormones are all out of whack, for whatever reason.

Hope you get sorted :)
  • Options
    I used to get like hat with my periods, very bad pains and then hot flashes and puking then nearly fainting. There have been many times when i have put the air conditioning on the coldest in my room, stripped off and lay down on the cold marble floor just to cool off.

I also carried it through to pregnancy in the end of my 2nd and beginning of 3rd trimesters i would get really hot, dizzy, blackout and pretty much drop to the ground (in slow motion for some reason). So i spoke to my obgyn and she told me to just lie down until it passes, so in the middle of malls i had to either find a bench/sofa and lie down....needless to say i didnt do that i just sat down, fanned myself and closed my eyes until it passed.

Oh and an ice cold mocha frappacino always helped

Hope you get it sorted, i know it not a nice thing to experience

ETA: If its pain related (as mine sometimes were) try to get hold of some decent painkillers or go in for a painkiller drip/injection (the drips are good when you feel the cold liquid going through your veins and really helps with the hotness ;)
  • Options
    Hey, i just realised something. We both have PCOS, could this be something related to it? Maybe something to ask the dr when you see them.
  • Options
    I can't really help, but get pretty much the same thing. If you get any suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear!

Only thing I've found that makes it worse is when I'm generally under the weather/tired/not getting enough sleep/not eating proper meals and fruit and veg etc. Still happens though, and not throughout period, probably about the two days before and first day or so.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Hey, i just realised something. We both have PCOS, could this be something related to it? Maybe something to ask the dr when you see them.
    Yeah, that's what my doctor thought, it was my assumption too. She's checking my LH/FSH levels to be sure.

As for the painful periods, she reckons I should go onto Dianette (one of the Pills) but I'm a bit nervy as I already take metformin and spironolactone for the PCOS and then I'm on new anti-depressants.
  • Options
    Well why not wait and see what the results come back with and then make a decision about the pill.
  • Options
    If it's any reassurance, then it's wasn't a problem for me while I was on dianette thinking back, just before and after.
  • Options
    the herbal supplement agnus castus is really recommended for hormonal imbalances. also black cohosh.